Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket engine management....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aftermarket engine management....

What should i go for??
    Was thinking of a power fc as they are cheap (£500) and still readily available plus they come with base maps and i can get it dyno'd later when i get more cash!
    Any other options i should be considering?
    Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

Ive heard great things from the "Hydra" AEM but i know someone with a Pwr FC and his car is so smooth and fast. idd go Hydra, but if you can get a pwrFC for that price i recon you should do it. Also do some reshearch on the Wolf3d AEM i dont know much about it but the local skyline boys seem to like it.

Cheers,
    WoB

THe PFC is ok, but it's only a 2D map on it. Not perfect. You WILL gain power from getting your car mapped with an ECU that has 3-D maps.

For your car, the MoTeC M4 is a great choice, same as the Hydra, AEM etc.

what about the link ecu there meant to be quite good and not too expensive i m saving for one now

for what purpose do you want it? why go standalone as opposed to piggyback, what is it that you want to acheive?

the answer to that question, along with budget, will decide what type of ECU you want. i personally dont like the Power FC one bit, its cheap but it offers little in the way of necessary features and seems to focus more on the features that your average car modifier thinks are best (which they rarely if ever are)

I want it to enable me to run the map sensor based ecu system to its maximum benefit, then in the future when i get a built engine it's already covered and easy to upgrade. Stock ecu's are always a compromise, taking into account roasting sun and freezing cold, overfuelling for safetly etc etc, yuck!
    The power FC is attractive as its cheap, easy to use, a straight swap and comes with base maps already installed, oh and hopefully i'll get a nice a'pexi sticker in the box to put under my wing mirror in a stack with all the rest..........

I dont like the thought of piggybacks as its tampering with signals and fooling the stock ecu, i'd rather get a proper fully mappable system and be done with it.
    Anybody know any decent mappers in the central scotland area?

have a look at Omex and Emerald if you want solutions for under a grand, Motec if you want to spend more, or VEMS if you want the maximum features for the money, for under a grand, but a little more complexity in installation and setup

Omex offer an off-the-shelf 4A-GE setup, but im assuming you want it for a 3S-GTE in which case you would probably have to do some wiring.

does the Power FC run off of standard sensors? if you want ease of installation and cheap then it might be your best option (id still rather have a piggyback than a PFC though. sure the standard computer has limitations, but a piggyback overcomes some of them whilst still within the safe bounds of the stock ECU. whereas a bad standalone setup has none of that safety margin, if it doesnt do something properly then its your engine thats melting because of it, if you see where im coming from)

Megasquirt not an option you'd go for Mr Sparks? Surely you could build one of them, no?

Who's this Mr. Sparks? Tis my surname you see and I've never met another one outside of my family! [/MK1 club anorak mode off]

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Sorry to get your hopes up owen but hes calling me that cos im a sparky and i work for a company called sparks mechanical services! Murphy is my surname,hence my imaginative username!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast