Thread: Basics.....which camry?

Basics.....which camry?

Which camry v6 do you need to find to get the correct engine? And also, most seem auto's, do you use the existing mr2 box then?

Where abouts are you?

In the UK its the 1990-94 camry's with the 3vz-fe engine. They're all auto's but you can reuse the MR2 gearbox (turbo or NA) by using a modified flywheel.

If've you've an NA you can modify the existing flywheel. If you're turbo, you can do the same or plump for a fidanza light weight flywheel which you'd have to import from the states.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

i thought it was upto 96 mr jiffy?

Cheers guys, a few other basic q's..

- Is the 3SFE gearbox ok for the task?

- What basically needs to be 'modified' (as opposed to what bolts straight up) in terms of mounts, wiring, colling system, zorst system?

(i'm in UK by the way)

the gearbox will be ok - 3sfe and 3sge are the same gearboxes anyway! so i am told. modified - need new mount (available from fourveesix) modified flywheel(fourveesix again), exhaust will need to be altered to make the v6 downpipes meet the mk2 back box and wiring ( download available from here)
    maybe a brake upgrade?

The point is that the e153 (3sgTe box) is much stronger then the 3sge box, so it will last longer.. especially if you ever want to upgrade by means of tc or sc..

ps: this is really basic stuff and can be found anywere on this forum.. try the search or just start reading @ random and youll have found it in about .3 of a second.

Side note : do we actually know the E153 is better or is that just the assumption cause it was bolted to a turbo engine?

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ
    Side note : do we actually know the E153 is better or is that just the assumption cause it was bolted to a turbo engine?
    Its definatley better, if there werent much of a difference they wouldnt have put a new box on their tubby models.. They can take more stress and as i understand the synchros are better.