Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Risingsuns' Swap!

Not sure on timescale, i'm in no rush and would like to get things done properly and get all bits done myself, this includes the welding, bodykit fitting etc. Which leads me on to my next question...what type of welding would be best suited to putting in the engine mounts. Was gonna buy a MIG welding kit and learn at home.

Also, can the departure 2 or Berk twin exit exhausts be made to fit on a mk1.5 conversion?

ANYTHING can be made to fit. :mrgreen:

Mig is fine, just avoid the pointless gassless ones and get one that uses the shielding gas. If you intend to use it a lot look at renting a large argoshield gas bottle rather than the £10 a pop disposable ones.

Cheers,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Where on earth do i get the 4mm steel plate to make up the engine mounts??

You go to any shipyard, building site, companies that does steel stuff and ask. There`s a name for those that work on steel and iron but i`m norweian so it`s probably not the same as here:)

When i was sourcing parts, steel etc i kept stopping at anything that could be a potential bits source. Most welding companies have bits of things you need lying around. Be polite and joke a bit around and they give you some for free.
    Don`t know if that was of any help but the point is be creative, there`s so much stuff lying around that you don`t notice:)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny g
    I'd rather give Mike Tyson a blow job in front of my mum and dad mate!
    :hidesbehi :hidesbehi :hidesbehi :hidesbehi

Any blacksmiths will be able to sort you out mate.

Or wait till they're shut and raid their bins :whistle:

Aw11 engine mounts are off!! Finally after several hours and two angle grinders (you get what you pay for) its done. Also taken out a lot of the rusted parts of the arches and filled in the little indents in the doors (going to be smooth lines). Pictures to follow tomorrow as they are on different computer. :-)

great!. for reference enough steel to make the mounts shouldnt be more than 20/25 quid at toppy tops. ask for 5" wide (125 will do) flat bar, 4mm thick. 5mm or 3/16 will do, you dont want any thicker :mrgreen:. buy 1.2 metres of the stuff you'll have a tad left over after cutting out the 6 shapes needed. then you need only the rear which wont take much if a few small bits.

tried these?: http://www.abbeysteel.co.uk/ if they cant cater for a small job like this they will surely know someone who can locally
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast