Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MK1 Suspension and handling Guide

P.S. i just wanted to add a brief overview of how damping and springs work, as i couldnt easily implement it above...

a damper (very) basically consists of a cylinder filled with oil with a hole in the top that a shift can move in and out through. on the end of the shaft is a piston which seals to the sides of the cylinder, but contains some form of bleed mechanism which allows oil to pass through in controlled amounts. the system is varied depending on the direction the piston moves in, which gives you your bump and rebound valving. something il say here which isnt really related, but which most people understand wrongly is that "gas" dampers (aka gas filled struts, emulsified dampers (gas mixed with the oil, some dampers have gas in a seperate chamber),etc) still contain oil. ALL dampers have oil in them, and dampers without gas when compressed will stay compressed, they dont pop back out. the gas inside dampers will cause them to push the rod back out, but this is at such a tiny force it had no effect on the car. the gas pressurises the inside of the damper so that it can allow for expansion of the oil under heat and allow for fast movement of the oil and prevent/reduce cavitation in the oil

so youve got bump damping and rebound damping. the sole purpose of the damper is to control the SPRING, it is the job of the spring to control the ride of the car

so the spring is compressed, it pushes the damper down and the dampers bump characteristics control the rates at which the spring can be compressed. all the damper really does is offer up an opposing force to the spring. the car pushes the spring and damper together and inside the damper the piston being forced through oil offers up resistance, which manifests itself as an upward force opposing the movement of the car and spring. stiff bump damping leads to a slower rate of compression. the way it works is quite simple, its the fine details in what sort of rates of compression you want which is where it gets complex lol

rebound is the opposite of bump, this is the force which resists the damper expanding again. as said above about gas dampers, the damper itself doesnt possess enough force to push the cars weight back up, they dont generally possess enough force to overcome a human pushing the rod in, depending on the gas pressures used. if there wasnt a spring on the car, the damper would expand back out. in rebound, the spring is trying to expand (as it naturally does) and in order for it to do this it has to pull the rod back out of the damper. the damper offers a force to resist this. stiffer rebound causes the spring to expand more slowly, again, its a fairly simple concept.

now to consider dampers with relation to spring rate. if you have a soft spring then the cars loads will compress it more easily. thus you ideally need stiffer bump damping to stop the spring from compressing really quickly and unsettling the car and causing excessive initial body roll. the rebound however can be softer because there is less force from the spring trying to expand the damper. since the damper is only there to control the spring, and the spring is pulling on it less hard, it makes sense that less rebound is required (generally, im stating this in very basic terms here, things are rather more complex in real life, but the basic principles still apply on the most part)

stiffer springs on the other hand compress less, and are less willing to compress, so bump damping can be softer. rebound on the other hands needs to be much stiffer, its basically the opposite of the above

now here are the 2 issues....

1. damping is there to control the springs, but the rate at which the wheels move is the key to a car gripping and handling well. so if you are needing to crank rebound up to cope with a stiff spring, you are also going to sacrifice traction on driven wheels for example. cars are dynamic objects, everything affects everything else

2. most people dont change dampers, the first thing they opt to change is springs (usually for lowered items). jap cars come with tons of rebound from the factory, japanese roads are really smooth, and japanese manufacturers like their cars to be pointy and feel like go karts, it sells well to people who dont really know how to truly drive the car. and this excessive rebound means that the car lends itself well to stiffer springs, as the dampers control the spring just fine in rebound and so people think this is what is best. the problem is that the bump damping is then far too soft for the stiff spring and the balance isnt there. it usually feels good, but it isnt fast. how many times have you seen scoobies and evos getting destroyed on track days by mk1 golf, 106 gti's, clio 172's, etc which are 200bhp down on them, but just destroy them around corners? most scoobies and evos are on cheap import dampers that are overly stiff on rebound, and are then stuck on stupidly stiff springs. the fastest track evo's run about 1-200lbs softer on spring rate than the average track day car, and their damping curves are basically turned upside down lol

thats not a particularly comprehensive guide on the basics of damping, its just a brief overview so that some of the above will make more sense. damping force changes dependant on speed, and its the fine tuning of low speed, mid range and high speed damping that determines how well a car sticks to the road, and the feedback and confidence that it gives the driver. but hopefully it gives enough insight to get people thinking :)

:hmm:, interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to write it. I now need to read it again.

Ta,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

OK real numpty question, as I'm sure you've realised I'm new to this:-

When you talk about increasing rebound are you talking about increasing the rate that rebound is allowed, or increasing resistance to it?

Ta,

Owen.

increasing the resistance that the damper gives when the spring is trying to expand. so yeh, increasing resistance to it. as said in the last of the posts, the damper never actually moves itself, it just acts against the spring. in compression it RESISTS the compression of the spring, and in rebound it RESISTS the rebound/expansion of the spring.

hope that clears it up a bit, feel free to ask questions about any part of it though, i dont mind answering them where i can :) as strange as it may sound, answering questions actually helps me to further improve my own understanding, because it gets me to think more and more about what a car is doing in order to try and answer questions. i learn more from writing things like the above (well, from thinking out what im going to write) than i do from reading about the same subjects :D

Ah, right, that makes sense now. My initial (incorrect) assumption was was tother way round and that by increasing rebound you were increasing the speed that the suspension would decompress itself, no wonder the tuning guide didn't seem right!

Ta Jim :thumbsup:

Thanks Jim:)

You better stay around on these forums for a long time to come :mrgreen:

great informative stuff..top work..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-SR
    as strange as it may sound, answering questions actually helps me to further improve my own understanding, because it gets me to think more and more about what a car is doing in order to try and answer questions.
    There's a great line in one of Douglas Adams books where a character explains that to truly understand something, you have to explain it to a complete novice as it's only then, when your breaking it down into its simplest format, that you really begin to understand it.

Some of the best IT people I know are ex-motor trade because its the same mindset - taking something technically complicated and breaking it down into easy to understand chunks and then applying a logical thought process to it.

Don't ever stop skimping on the posts, we've plenty of bandwidth :thumbsup:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

another thing i forgot to mention above, which is just a quick overview (as i lack the knowledge at present to expand fully on the below)....

ive mentioned the term "road tyres" quite a lot, the reason being that 99% of people who read the above will run road tyres, even on track days. for those who dont, things are different

if you ever run slicks, or even semi slicks, anything with significantly more grip than a road tyre, then the car will want setting up differently. first and foremost youve got 3 times more grip from the tyres so youll get oodles of grip regardless, but that doesnt mean you cant still optimise things. camber settings will probably change quite a bit, as will tyre pressures, but it depends on the tyre in question as to what wants changing and what to. as with road tyres, youve got varying degrees of sidewall stiffness, tread compounds, contact patch deflection, etc

damping will be a totally different ball game, im not 100% what youd do to an MR2 if you stuck slicks on it, but im sure there would be an aspect of trial and error to it! youd definitely go stiffer on rebound, reason being that for slicks youll almost certainly run stiffer springs, and youll need the extra rebound to cope with the springs

youll only ever be using slicks on track (unless youre insane :D) so youre talking very smooth road surfaces, and little in the way of bumps. so running the stiffer springs isnt compromising grip and traction so much. also with the massively improved lateral grip slicks have you dont need to rely so heavily on weight transfer to maintain traction. the stiffer you go on spring rate and rebound though the more work you ask the tyre to do, which results in faster wear rates. in modern F1 the car with the best suspension is usually the one that manages the tyres best, as the aero is responsible for just about everything else. so all the suspension really does is manage tyres (within reason, it still makes a difference, but not as much as a car that relies on mechanical grip). its one of the main reasons why Honda have been awful for a couple of seasons, you always hear them talking about not being able to get tyres upto temperature enough, etc

even with slicks on an MR2 though, you still wouldnt be running anywhere near 500lb springs on the rear!!!

Well the original article came from club4ag so that explains alot of it. Over there they think that sliding the rear end around makes you faster... or at least it makes you look like you deliver tofu for a living.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast