thread: MK1 Suspension and handling Guide

Mar 2006
    Blackpool
    Over there they think that sliding the rear end around makes you faster... or at least it makes you look like you deliver tofu for a living.
    I always remember a line from Emerson Fittipaldi's ( 2 x F1 World Champ )biography - "Sliding is fun, but it isn't fast"
    '86 Mk1a SC trackday car
    '87 T-Bar SC - now scrapped :icon_cry:
    '00 Frontera 3.2 V6 tow barge

Jan 2006
    Edinburgh
    not sure if it was this thread where poeple were looking for roll-centre adjusters, but have a look at this!

http://translate.google.com/translat...%2F~fos4416%2F

Google's translator tool thingy is ace!
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Nov 2011
    Wrexham
    Jim-SR that looks a great read although i haven't read it yet (posting comment to find it easier later)

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    i really disagree with the 1deg of max camber. she leans over quite a bit on mostly stock suspension:

we run 2.5* camber up front and 2.1* in the rear and we tend to still overheat the outside of the rear tires.

this car needs more swap bar to stop the camber going nuts in a turn, but we can't do that in our class.

Nov 2008
    Das Krapital
    This is one of my favourite threads, so I figure I'll post here:

At the meoment, I'm running Koni Yellows (single adjustment) with GC sleeves and 200lb front, 300lb rear springs. I'd like to be able to run as soft as possible due to UK roads being rubbish and me liking to stay in tiuch with the surface when pressing on. I know I need to address my offsets and figure out what wheels and tyres I can get a way with, but bearing mind my car is running quite a lot heavier than standard with a V6 and SW20 turbo running gear, am I in the right ballpark?

It seems pretty stiff, especially with 45 and 35 profile tyres (215F and 245R R16s) but better balanced than before. Traction is still pretty awesome but I managed to trouble it 20 yards outside of a junction as I opened her up on a slight gradient (cold tarmac!) - no drama just a very gentle squirm with a gentle squeeze through the meat of 2nd. Nice. Given the 245s are no longer available and I'm not prepared to go to 17s, I'm considering going with 205 / 225s on the current 16x7.5in rims, or maybe even some 15s....

Sep 2007
    stockport
    I think 275lb or even 265 on the rear springs mate and I know that 2nd gear snatch well, the sudden umph wants to throw you into a hedge/wall/barrier/ditch/lamppost I've been talking to ohlins uk about sorting a suspension upgrade for our v6 engined mr2s either mk1 or mk2 , they have there dfv tech which is like next gen stuff so you can have comfort and sporty suspension.

Had a word with other suspension company's and some of there products just aren't suitable or you have to compromise on what you want, I.e ride comfort or track handling or drag strip, as on a drag strip you need softer rears while track racing you want it hard but I'm getting old so need a softer ride.

I think 300 is way to high for the rear even 200 on the front is to hard 185 or lower as you want some give .

Nov 2008
    Das Krapital
    Thanks Tiggs. I was thinking I could go for 20-30lb/in softer front to rear but I will also need to look at my arches :)

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Go coil over mate there's a few the bc racing you can keep the spring at the poundage you want, and lower the shock tube to what ever hight you need then it takes the pain out of hight and spring length and poundage, don't go for there inverted design though as have been told that it would need rebuilding/sorting every year.