Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: coilovers! if they work!!!

well did some more work on these today feel free to tell me i am an idiot and have done it wrong;) but first off removed the shocks again and trimmed the spring platform with a precision tool:woc: lol

then it was a case of cleaning / tidying and painting in the usual gold colour.

reassembling as per the directions

i have trimmed the oem bumpstop and refiitted inside the coil

and a before and after shot

did a bit of research and the springs are readily available in the 2,5" size and if these dont give the correct ride height the others are available! one question though - i have swapped front for rear due to the differing layouts of the mx5 / mr2 , the alloy tubes are different sizes front to rear should they be changed as well front/rear or stay the same orientation?

right! had to re-do the spring setup as they were upside down :doh: i have fitted the fronts but you will need the keyed washer that normally sits in the top spring mount. that is'nt present any more so a simple soloution was.....

this fits under the topmount and sits on the bearing and takes up the big gap that there is without it! the alloy sleeves are slightly to long to fit the tubes so i had to remove 7mm from the bottom of the sleeve.

and then the grub screws will fit onto the tube. the finished pics

and fitted with the excellent wms large front brake kit!

ride height seems to be ok, and there seems to be some movement on the springs so not too stiff, the fitment is swapped front to rear due to the mx5 chassis layout differences.

in the process of doing the rears at the moment, will post pics later.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    wow thats truly excrement mate! groundbreaking work there for sure,hope you dont mind if i copy this in future,definately happening to lily when er.... something happens.... :woods:

love it mate.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

copy away mate! thats what this site is all about! its never going to be a top notch answer to great suspension but should be able to give you more options on spring length's/stiffness etc with the addition of different springs that are readily available! something that the standard setup does'nt give you.
    heres just a small selection that you can get!
    Last edited by adamh; 26-02-2011 at 17:35.

Great work Lodge :thumbsup: keep the updates coming and a thorough road test

Am gonna give this a go on the 4age. Only got standard inserts so we'll see how they last on different heights.

Lodge, are you running Koni's or KYB's or summit?

adjustables mate!

good show al :thumbsup:
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

So how is the finish product? works to meet your requirements?, quick question... you switched the front and rear to fit the mr2?

Quote Originally Posted by Maritime_mr2
    So how is the finish product? works to meet your requirements?, quick question... you switched the front and rear to fit the mr2?
    im assuming he meant spring rates, given that an MX5/Miata is a front engine RWD car, whereas the AW11 is mid engined, so the weight distributions will be fairly opposite

so switching the recommended front springs to rear makes sense. personally i reckon the provided springs will be vastly over stiff, but without seeing what the rates are its hard to judge. just basing that on the general tuning-market thinking that stiffer must be better

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast