Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Second draft of mk1.5 brake upgrade table

Pics of correct ST185 carrier:-

Calliper / disk mounted with MK3 MR2 clown wheel.

And yes I know it's got the wrong side disk on but it was just for mock up... :blush:

Hope that helps,

Owen.
    Last edited by Marksman; 06-02-2007 at 18:53.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Thanks heaps for the pic, I'll have to look this up when I get back to Aus. I'm pretty curious of which model they are off now.

I'll be travelling for a couple of weeks through Vietnam. At the moment I'm in Hanoi which is not the most ordered of places in so many ways...pretty cool though...

One thing that would be good to know now is if the correct caliper setup (ST185) fits under the standard wheels...has anyone done this?

Thanks again
    Alex

ST185's will NOT fit under standard rims as they're 14".

ST165's (twinpot) fit under the standard rim using the Mk1b disc.

I've got ST185 twinpots. Will they go straight onto the mk1b hubs? (Can't open the brake table up in work)

What size disc will it be on there?

Should they also go on under 14" wheels. Not planning on keeping the 14's but would be handy for now if these fitted.

ST185 twinpots bolt staright on, fit on with mk1b disc and therefore fit under 14's

What size are the discs then?

I thought they were larger, similar to the single piston calipers? The brakes are crap on the 2 as is so these will defo do for now but will these twin-pot 185's be good enough to handle the V6 when it's in?

they are 256mm x 25mm..
    theyre a huge improvement mate..got them on mine..
    wouldnt personally use the mk1b disk as theyre a bit thinner than ST185 stock @ 22mm

Cheers Nik, i'll try them out, can always change them if i don't like them.

Mite nick these for my T-Bar and get single pistons for the V6 a bit down the line.

Well back from hols and took some photos of the brake and caliper on the car.

I see now my caliper carrier has 25-2 embossed at the top where as the one I'm suppose to have has 25-1. It is a single piston caliper so WTF is it off.

This brake setup now actually works really well, not sure if it represents great value but these things are never rational. Can confirm it works with the standard rims.

Alex

i believe its something to do with the aussie market gt4s having smaller brakes... there is something on twincam.info about that.

My question.
    Is it better to have the big discs or the twin piston calipers?? whats the prefered compromise??
    Big discs would give better leverage wouldnt they?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast