Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Second draft of mk1.5 brake upgrade table

is there a clicky linky about somehwre im missing?

dit, i should have checked first,, false alarm!.

...downloads section.
    Last edited by adamh; 15-11-2005 at 20:34.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

How do Chaps,
    I have been having a look at the brake table and I reckon there might be an issue with the way the piston areas are worked out.
    If you have a single piston caliper to get it to apply the brakes the piston has to move twice as far to take up the clearence in both sides brake pads. This gives the single piston caliper twice the mechanical advantage over a twin pot caliper, so it pulls twice as hard for the given pressure.
    I know it all sounds a bit confusing and I'm not 100% certain myself, but I read a bit about this in a car and car conversions some time ago.
    By looking at the piston area between the two possible st185 combinations, it looks like the twin pots would be much stronger, but in reality if the single pot was in good working order, if you double up because of the need to move twice as far, the single pot has the edge. Well thats what I reckon anyway.
    I will try and find the mag somewhere.

Steve

Hey guys,

I've got an interesting offer on a gen 6 Celica 3sge and possibly the front brakes as well. Anyone know if these are at all suitable?

Mike

god me head hurts 2 much info 2 take in and to much beer last nite:violin: :violin:

Can someone email/PM me the excel spreadsheet. Work blocks me from opening the site, ta.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars.
    The rest I just squandered.
    George Best

Quote Originally Posted by spudgun
    How do Chaps,
    I have been having a look at the brake table and I reckon there might be an issue with the way the piston areas are worked out.
    If you have a single piston caliper to get it to apply the brakes the piston has to move twice as far to take up the clearence in both sides brake pads. This gives the single piston caliper twice the mechanical advantage over a twin pot caliper, so it pulls twice as hard for the given pressure.
    I know it all sounds a bit confusing and I'm not 100% certain myself, but I read a bit about this in a car and car conversions some time ago.
    By looking at the piston area between the two possible st185 combinations, it looks like the twin pots would be much stronger, but in reality if the single pot was in good working order, if you double up because of the need to move twice as far, the single pot has the edge. Well thats what I reckon anyway.
    I will try and find the mag somewhere.

Steve
    In a non-sliding caliper you add up the area of all the pistons... In a sliding caliper you get the area of the piston/s (all on one side) and double it as the "slide" creates a virtual second set of pistons by both doubling the force (minus friction and twisting in the slider of course!) and the amount of fluid moved as the one set of pistons do indeed move twice as far.

The 2 pots in the table are also SLIDING calipers, and therefore are area needs to be doubled in the same way as the singles.

The ST205 4-pots don't have their area doubled, and neither do any aftermarket 4-pots. ;)

I have almost completed the upgrade to 277mm OD ST185 disks & ST185 single pot calipers.

One point worth noting is the OD of the disk (277mm) is too large and must be reduced to clear the caliper. I'd budget on removing enough material to bring the disk down to 265mm, (however this is an estimate, I have the dissk currently at 268 and it just scrapes the caliper)

The total machining cost then to the disks managed to roughly equal the value of the new disks themselves, so it's not worth using second hand disks, unless they are damn close to new.

Added to the pool of knowlege.....

Alex

Sorry Alex but you must be doing something wrong.

ST185 single pots happily clear the 277 OD disk. Are you using the ST185 carriers?

they came with the calipers complete, marked ST185, the wrecker was wrecking a GT4 of correct vintage, and they are single pot.

The carrier for the original calipers is pretty similar dimensionally to the ST185 carrier that I have. Differences seem to be in the pad mounting more than anything.

The car is an 88 model not supercharged sold into the aust market.The calipers came complete with carriers off a JDM spec ST185 celica.

I'm currently in Veitnam, so am unable to check dimensions from here but I'd like to get to the bottom of this as it had me guessing I'd was cursed with the start of this project.

Is there any way of confirming the carrier and caliper?

Alex

I'll try and check mine later today to see if there's any identifiable markings. My gut feeling is that you've got the calipers from an ST165 or ST182.

The calipers you need are only fitted to the late 4x4 turbo model.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast