Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: free power upgrades on the 3vzfe

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ View Post
    Anyone done the AFM resolution map mod by tapping into the AFM right at the neck?

What do you do with the pipe on the flip side of the AFM piping that goes to the rear bank cam cover? Do you have to tap that into the AFM casing aswell?
    I'm pretty sure you just block off that black pipe, since it has no use now.

Should've updated this.

Best bet is to put a small oil breather on there. About £2 off of ebay. :)

Did the 7 clicks. Feels peppier from mid range on up. Nice. Still thinking about doing the other mods. Will most likley complete the shortening up of the intake to the throttle body, but the last one I don't know. i wish I knew if hot-chilli did all 3 of the mods when he dyno, or just the one acis (or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by mr2japan View Post
    Did the 7 clicks. Feels peppier from mid range on up. Nice. Still thinking about doing the other mods. Will most likley complete the shortening up of the intake to the throttle body, but the last one I don't know. i wish I knew if hot-chilli did all 3 of the mods when he dyno, or just the one acis (or whatever).
    I've deleted ACIS (see below), back to back dyno'd. Made almost bugger all difference, 1 whp and car didn't feel as sweet when driving on the road.

Not a good picture but you can just make out the overlaid plots (faint line is with ACIS and solid is without), as expected loses a little bottom end for a more at the top.

Last edited by Barronmr; 13-06-2012 at 16:38.

Interesting stuff though.

Pat has deleted the acis too, reckons its changed the whole dynamics of how the engine responds.

I think it's probably most effective with other tweaks. He's running k&n filter, no breather pickups, custom (ahem) downpipe and a big lairy twin exit back box.

C.

i tried it on the 4age, it makes it noiser and slower off the start. it didnt change anything at the top end. it does make it feel more responsive, odd that is.

here is a good source for info on the various diff types.

http://turbomr2.com/MR2/Reference/TVIS/TVIS.htm

im keen to get it on a dyno although and get the fuelling better if its rich!
    Last edited by adamh; 13-06-2012 at 22:34.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

I've heard to leave it alone. Do I mod the AFM or not?

Hey there,

These Q's below usually answer this question for you:
    1) Will it give me more power? Yes (10hp ish)
    2) Will it reduce the reliability of the engine? Yes (leaner burning increases the thermal load on lots of components)

Its a very blunt tool, as it reduces the fuelling across the map in all situations

So Generally:
    Regularly used road car, don't bother.
    On a weekend toy, maybe consider it.
    Track toy or 1/4 mile car, probably do it.

It's best to use this method of tuning if you can actively monitor the AFR's via a wideband Lambda sensor.

Hope this helps.

Personally I don't bother. Pat fiddled with his, but I reckon it's sugar pills.

You will see more benefit from the EGR delete and capping off the oil breathers / fitting a catch can etc.

C.

Back to back dyno'd mine and another 3vz. Definitely 100%, AFM mod gives more power by reducing the fuel injected. Could see the change in AFR's vs power output.

I've taken a 3vz to the dyno pulled 155whp for the first 3 runs, played with fueling and timing and hey presto 177whp was the best next 3 runs.

Similarly mine with ported heads started at 164whp and now resides at 183whp, again with just fueling and timing altered.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123