Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Super-Lightweight-AW11

Indeed, but you're not Scottish. We've got a death wish you see :mrgreen:

So if we were to leave the standard shell in place, what shopuld we remove Jim?

MT - that looks the business. :thumbsup:

Lighten the bonnet with a fucking huge hole in it :D

And notice the front is shortened.

Jim - yeah, it's gonna be a bit of a grindfest :D

Welding is ok - I live right next door to a blacksmiths who weld stuff all day every day - they know their stuff and will weld stuff if I give them beer (or if they cover my car in paint which I don't want there :( ).

The roll-hoop would pick up at the top of the b-pillars (just aft of door...I get mixed up with pillars!) and also the rear strut tops. There'll be a lot more than just that...I can't really describe it too accurately just now.
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Or leave the top in place?

you lot havent been on the diesel by any chance?:rofl:

I went and got this out off a thead i made :)

I Hope you dont mind Jim

it youre wanting to do it as a lightweight and stiffening exercise id suggest spaceframing the standard structural points so that you can remove some of the monocoque "panels"

e.g. treat it like a rollcage picking up the a,b and c-pillars with a bar and then a stitch welded beam between the pillar and the bar, triangulate all of these points and put in 2 floor rails at the sills, pick up the front and rear suspension at the top and the bottom and triangulate the engine bay and the frunk, and then you should be able to cut away the floor, the bulkhead, and the firewall, and that should save some weight and also make the car a lot stiffer than it is as standard (especially when its 2 decades old!!)

Also if you want to save a hell of a lot of weight you need to reduce the unsprung mass.
    You will need
    Light Alloys
    Light Suspension
    Light brake Components

For each kilo you save i think you actually save 8kgs or something like that. Im no physics expert lol

Also get your hands on a C64 6 Speed Manual Transmission used with the 2ZZ-GE engine. Its made of Aluminium(well the external bits are any way, im not sure about the inner bits)

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ
    Anyone have that pic of the Autotest car, think it was green?
    Here you go

A few more pics here http://bccswf.com/pixgcac2005-05-07.htm
    '86 Mk1a SC trackday car
    '87 T-Bar SC - now scrapped :icon_cry:
    '00 Frontera 3.2 V6 tow barge

That's pretty cool Jeff, will have a good look when am home.

Is it built using all the mk1 parts or just the engine?

If we strip the car down to the basics, and use the monocoque mk1 chassis, so we got cabin, chassis, 4 wheels, suspension, brakes and an engine bay, this would still keep all the strength, right?

So we could then simply re-work the front end and rear to whatever shape we want?

What's the lightest and cheapest material to make custom body panels out of?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast