Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "the thing"

"the thing"

thought it was about time I started the build thread...

got it back from the guy that put the steelwork in it(he builds race cars for a living).yesterday

am now starting too fix some wireing I thought would have been safe from hot metal...needless too say Im now....redoing all the stuff under the dash near the corners....as where he put the gussets in...have been in contact with the loom:(....and Im hearing you say gussets?

too help stiffen up the front of course:)

modified the front strut brace too...so should be nice and stiff;)

'the THING' love it
    what plans other plans have you got

I have lots of plans....but Im making some up as I go;)....like stiching the tops of the struts...front and back...

just need too get the damn electrics sorted under the dash, and get that all back together......and sort out my brake lines(had too move them for the chassis work...did some other unique things...reinforced the sills/floor...and some hoops in funny places..as Im not exactly a little guy, I needed the space inside)...and then get the fuel cell in..then Ill worry about a motor and box;)

think Ill be stuck on the wiring for a while yet though....need too rebuild some harness' for "other things"....lol

would it not be easier to get another harness?

I have a spare dash harness...which Ill get too tomorrow
    but its not an auto one like this one...so will have too see what I need too change...

yeah I know..."auto?"...told you I had other ideas;)...

and I cant use a standard harness for what I have in mind:(...so Ill need too do lots of work on it anyway...

went too the shed at my parents(handy having an storage that you dont pay for;)) and picked up a "sentra" boot load of under car bits, and a spare loom(well all but the engine loom/ecu and the big positive cable that runs down the side)....I didnt realise how much weight is tied up in it(till I carried it out too the car in one piece)...when you have most of the modules plugged in...would be at least 25kg(maybe more...lol)...thats without the stereo/power window/mirror, bits on it either

also picked up a steering colum...with the switches on it and an ignition barrel...fuel tank...and all the brackets and lines for underneath...now I just need too find time too fit them too the car...when its not so damn cold...

did i mention I hate winter lately?....was a wicked frost by about half 9 last night...so much for "windy wellington"....lol

ha ha, yeah you guys have winter while we have our summer.
    That loom looks really cooked - you sure you can't get one from the wreckers

just wondering...on your camry exhaust systems do they have a balance pipe like this?....or is it some ugly peice of metal?lol

I know the rest of the engine bay looks similar...I didnt use a grinder too cut it out...i have a "saws all"....ha ha ha

and just too prove how far along I actually am at this stage;)

and have you ever wondered what the extra reinfocing in a T-top looks like,
    other than the T bar?

the downpipes from the engine are the same.

you have done alot :thumbsup: engine's out excellent.

I see you have the engine mount on the chasis - but its better to have that fitted to the engine and ditto the one thats on opposite side of the bay (just the metal bit not the rubber)- on the gearbox.
    I had to pump the crane and guide the engine in as no one to help - i found it very easy this way.

in the interest of my future sanity....as I didnt have a motor too bolt it too straight away.(its still sitting at the storage place)..I bolted it too the mount, bit hard too lose it that way:P

as for that car in the background....if youve ever watched V8 supercars from australia,youll know the dunny-doors..and falcoons(two model class racing, from holden/gm and ford)..that one in the background is a falcon from the "brute" class..same vehicles....more restricted, but utes, like 450BHP and no weight over the back wheels(its a $60,000 V8 ute,instead of paying about $35,000 for a new one)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast