Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: please be aware..

theres nothing bodge about making it fit. you probably didnt mean it in that sense, but things can be "re-engineered" to fit, as opposed to bodged. bodging implies gratuitous angle grinderage and big hammers, re-engineering uses those same angle grinders and hammers, but with some sparkly clean overalls, some precision measurement tools and the use of a milling machine and lathe, whether they are required to be used or not ;)

***aw11***
    true, actually, i didn't mean it like that,
    the story was that this bloke i bought the s12 from, had built 3 s12's in the past, one was a v6 conversion, so i gathered that he would be quite into 're-engineering', as much as what everyone else is,
    but after i found out what he had done to the car he sold me, i was confused.

why would he put loads of effort into one project, then half heartedly attempt another.

i always thought 'once an engineer, always an engineer', but this bloke let me down.
    so sorry for the sometimes negative attitude

ive seen some pictures of old style top mounts, and they appear to have 120 degree bolt spacing (but not necessarily, could be 2 at 90 apart, and the other opposite to make a triangle). thus they wont fit into a square bolt pattern.

if they are 120 degree then youve simply got to drill 2 new holes (re-use one of the standard ones) and they will be sufficiently far away from the existing holes. if it uses a 90-90-135 layout then its even easier, just one new hole

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-SR
    ive seen some pictures of old style top mounts, and they appear to have 120 degree bolt spacing (but not necessarily, could be 2 at 90 apart, and the other opposite to make a triangle). thus they wont fit into a square bolt pattern.

if they are 120 degree then youve simply got to drill 2 new holes (re-use one of the standard ones) and they will be sufficiently far away from the existing holes. if it uses a 90-90-135 layout then its even easier, just one new hole
    Arn't you looking at the rear mounts? which are the same.

I got some TRD mounts from fensport and they fitted a mk1a (with drilling) and would with a mk1b with no modifations

***aw11***
    Quote Originally Posted by cartledge_uk
    Arn't you looking at the rear mounts? which are the same.

I got some TRD mounts from fensport and they fitted a mk1a (with drilling) and would with a mk1b with no modifations
    the rear ones are spaced at 120*,and as i said earlier,the mk1a that is outside fensport had 90*ones on the front

Quote Originally Posted by ***aw11***
    the rear ones are spaced at 120*,and as i said earlier,the mk1a that is outside fensport had 90*ones on the front

Fensport dont know what they are talking about.

They stock the correct mounts, you have to tell them what you want.

Both the 1a and the 1b have rears 3 bolts @ 120 degrees,

The front is where it differs the 1a has 3 bolts at 90 degrees the 1b 4 bolts at about 90 degrees otherwise how does the strut brace from the 1b fit the 1a (which it does)

4 stud front top mounts

ah ok, i was looking at rears then. i thought they were 3-stud!! so in that case, TRD mounts fit fine, panic over :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-SR
    ah ok, i was looking at rears then. i thought they were 3-stud!! so in that case, TRD mounts fit fine, panic over :D
    fensport are useless and dont know anything about the mk1 IMO

I personally refuse to buy from them.

i refuse to use them as well, based on the fact they are less than useless when it comes to advice, and are grossly overpriced.

unless the first thing you say when they answer the phone is your credit card number, theyre not interested. the only thing id use them for is the TRD top mounts, because they are only £10 more expensive than importing them, and importing them takes 8+ weeks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123