Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: opinions needed...

that'll be micheldever tyres then. never had anything suspension wise done by them so not sure how they are for alignment, theyre great for tyres though :)

not sure quite how you figure that micheldever is near to portsmouth though lol, unless your location has changed from what it says. thats got to be a good 40 miles+!! im in basingstoke, but i work near petersfield/alton so youre not far away from our place

***aw11***
    i work in southampton, so its 50-50 really.

what the name of your company

Does anybody know if Fensport are the only place that do custom rate springs?

I noticed that they haven't got them on their website anymore.

***aw11***
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankses
    Does anybody know if Fensport are the only place that do custom rate springs?

I noticed that they haven't got them on their website anymore.
    dont know mate, best to give them a ring

Fensport arent the only people who do custom rate springs. EVERY spring manufacturer in the world does custom rate springs, Fensport just sell somebody elses springs with their name stamped on.

the company i work for is called Aurok, were the UK Ohlins distributor, a Koni and Eibach agent, plus general motorsport preparation and engineering

Just had an interesting chat with Fensport, they've stopped doing custom springs because of quality problems. Basically they were ordering them as per customer spec but when they came they'd be different to what was asked for.

Bugger, I was looking at buying some in the next few weeks as well.

So Jim, what are Aurok all about - a good chance for you to advertise your services. Do you do custom rate springs and what kind of money are we looking at?

we resell custom rate springs, we are about the above. Ohlins dampers are the main area of business, 90% of the time is spent on Ohlins kit. just about everything we build is bespoke, and our dampers (built in house) are running on most of the top race cars in the UK (and further afield)

we are agents for Koni and Eibach. the managing director setup the UK Koni operation and has been building them forever, i doubt anyone in the world knows more about setting up Koni's, even the designers. we get a few Koni's in for services and revalves (more the race stuff than the road stuff, although Yellows can be tweaked and improved quite a lot). Eibach we just resell

and we also do our own springs, made by a company that supplies us to our spec and we sell them on in whatever rate, length, diameter and colour you want. not sure how easily we could get stock MR2 springs, it depends on the shape of them and i cant remember off hand how they locate, it would be better to convert the MR2 strut to accept a more standard size, which would open up thousands more options

and the other things we do are motorsport preparation and setup, and general engineering tasks. we do quite a lot of car setups, it goes hand in hand with dampers really. we build dampers, people fit them, but then their car needs setting up for optimum handling and grip. we do proper 4 wheel alignments (to the nearest measureable unit on toes, cambers, castor, bump steer (if necessary), etc. we setup corner weights and ride heights, and also the dampers themselves obviously. and all cars get ride tested (if required) to ensure they are setup to handle exactly how they should under all conditions

a bit of a plug there, but its not my company, im just an employee. 90% of people wouldnt want to spend the money that such services as ours cost. for example Ohlins dampers are about £1600+ for an MR2 application, modified Koni's would cost the price of standard Koni Yellows, plus labour and material costs, but youd get back a set of dampers that cost you £600 as they were, and are now almost as effective as an Ohlins damper, the difference can be night and day. car setups are dependant on application, MR2's take a little while so somewhere around £200-250, i cant give a definite quote there, thats the boss' job. but you get what you pay for on all of these things, if you want to spend less, you get less product lol, its as simple as that

as for costs of springs, it depends on what you want. i dont think Eibach do a kit for the mk1, they do universal springs though if you convert to use a more standard sizing (not difficult to do if you get a fabricator to do it). our own springs might come in a fitment that goes straight on, but i wouldnt hold your breath, and they cost a fair bit less than Eibach

Wow, great reply Jim. I'm looking at doing some suspension work in the next few weeks so I might give Aurok a call about some springs. Just trying to decide how much money to spend at the mo.

il check what we can do about standard fitment MR2 springs today, i have a feeling it wont be possible though, it depends how the spring locates. the springs we tend to get are flat ended, although im not sure if our spring manufacturer can make open ended springs, if so then it could be possible (but at what expense)

for universal sized springs (E.g. 2.25", 2.5", etc) we can supply anything you want pretty much :)

some rev3 springs just posted in the ebay section if you want them :thumbsup:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast