Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque mount warning for higher power 1.5's

just found out this chap had a similar problem running a 4-AGE SC in Japland...

http://translate.google.com/translat...%2F~fos4416%2F

Seems it's not the blitish climate that's a factor then?

Also shows a possible means of further prevention?

Should this wee plate be added as a preventative measure?
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Pending
    Our car has had this problem, Our fix was weld a nut to large hardened washer and then weld that assembly back into the orinigianl mounting area, we had also started to unfold the bottom of the crossmember it took alot of bashing and stitch welding to rectify we will be reinforcing this area this year.

Our mounting nut failed to lack of torquing the bolts correctly, a rattle gun doesnt suffice, learnt the hard way. When your car squats down and hooks up it puts huge amounts of pressure onto this mount.

My rear engine mount has come loose i think. The guy working on the clitch pointed it out. So if i go to get it welded is there any specific instructions to tell them? What has everyone else been doing. Just the 3mm plate that paul advised at the beggining of this thread?

Cheers.

Fella's. My rear mount has now broken completely and the car isn't driveable. I'll get it fixed but what am i to take into consideration here. Has this happened to anyone else? The whole engine has shifted and even one of the exhaust mounts has broken also. It seemingly is that the place the engine mounted to the chassis had corroded and now broken off. Not that the engine mount is broken itself. Can the engine have been damaged itself from it?

Greg

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    To date i think only stu has had a problem with the chassis cracking where the torque mounts bolt to.Just plate the chassis member with 3mm steel before bolting the torque mount back on, and i would plate it a good 3" each side of the bolt holes.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

this has been a problem on multiple mk1's running 4A-GE engines with either stiffened or heavily worn stock mounts. it seems that once the stock mounts wear out they transmit extra force to the chassis, and with stiffened (poly) mounts the same is true, and this is a weak area. there are at least 2 dozen guys on the US OC boards that have suffered the same problems, and it seems to be irrespective of rust.

im fitting full poly mounts on mine but im going to reinforce the front and rear areas before i fit them (its easy to reinforce good metal, its much harder to fix broken metal)

Cheers Paul, i will give that information as a guide to the fellow i have doing my welding.

Interesting jim about it occuring in other mk1's with the original 4-age's fitted too. So perhaps it is just an imbedded issue and it's sort of re-assuring in a way that it isn't an issue only in higher power mk1.5's either. I Think Toffer's car is getting additional welding and support done seeing as he will be transferring so much power through his.

Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GregHoon View Post
    Cheers Paul, i will give that information as a guide to the fellow i have doing my welding.

Interesting jim about it occuring in other mk1's with the original 4-age's fitted too. So perhaps it is just an imbedded issue and it's sort of re-assuring in a way that it isn't an issue only in higher power mk1.5's either. I Think Toffer's car is getting additional welding and support done seeing as he will be transferring so much power through his.

Cheers guys.
    Hi, having poly engine and torque mounts and plated, you just never know !!

Yeah for sure. Better safe than sorry, especially all that work being done on the engine. you want to see what happened to my engine mount, nasty. I'll post up picks if i can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by GregHoon View Post
    Yeah for sure. Better safe than sorry, especially all that work being done on the engine. you want to see what happened to my engine mount, nasty. I'll post up picks if i can get them.
    Hey hope it all goes well greg, if you need any welding doing, should have car back soon so can call over:thumbsup:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast