Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque mount warning for higher power 1.5's

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    thats a very interesting post malc,makes good sense too....ive never heard or seen this happen before,you say it sometimes happens on 4a-ge cars? wierd!

Totally agree with you and mart,a plate on top with a tube within the member and a long nut/bolt would cure this and wouldnt be hard to do.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

How about making the rear mount stiffer than the front? Then on the over-run the rear mount will be taking most of the load (distributed under compression against the chassis rail) whilst the front (under tension) will float a little more, hopefully reducing fatigue. Worth a shot or shall we just strengthen the chassis anyway?

O.S.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

excellent find chaps, sorry it happenend to your motor stu but well pleased it showed up on someones. i'll re-inforce the front under with nice 2-3mm steel plate and drill up through / put in a longer bolt & penny washer / free moving plate above to spread load it'l be a bit difficult to weld above that point with the engine in, i'll do this when re-inforcing the F/R mounts with urethane.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

I just think its great to see that we are getting enough power to break things! the 4age couldn't punch its way out a paper bag.

Paul, Is this something I should be concerned with? I shouldn't be doing many hard launches but I cartainly won't be holding back on the track, don't know if the V6 will be any different to the 3SGTE.
    MK2 REV3 Turbo T-bar @ 320bhp

I'm so JDM, my engine is f""ked!

we had a small problem on alans of the bolts stripping out the holes on the e153 casing on the front torque mount, but that was definately a turbo induced problem as it was apparent on my gearbox also but before i fitted my engine!.. so i re-drilled and tapped the next size up on both boxes and loc-tited the bolts in real good. id say keep an eye on them front two torque mount bolts, good practice to remove them and re-fit them with loctite.. if they come loose and it gos un-noticed your looking at a repair sooner or later
    Last edited by adamh; 29-04-2007 at 11:01.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Well spotted gents...

Do we have a URL for the US forum Malc... could be some other interesting gems we've not come across before like this very one??
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    michael we will have to keep an eye on the V6's...its certainly not hard to beef that area up.

Ive had another thought chaps,you know that shock absorber unit thats normally fitted to the front of a camry on the engine? how about incorporating that into both 3s-gte and 3vz engined mk1's?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

We were discussing that shock absorber on Saturday, it doesn't weigh much and it's obviously purpose built.

Will have a bash at fitting it when i get the engine in.

also worth mentioning that wheel,tyre size and compund would also affect amount of stress at that area, the more traction you have the more force put on mounts as you arent spinning the power away in clouds of smoke.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast