Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing the oil cooler hose behind turbo (the hose from hell)

changing the oil cooler hose behind turbo (the hose from hell)

there are i guess many ways to remove the hose from hell (HFH), which is a small rubber piece of hose wrapped in heat wrap and sits just behind the turbo next to the oil cooler on the front face of the 3sgte block. i did it like so;

1. jack back end up and sit on axle stands.

2. starting from the top of the engine, i stripped back the turbo hard pipe outlet & mounting bracket, the dip-stick, he thin manifold heatshield, and the oil filter.

3. from underneath; the downpipe, the down pipe to block mounting bracket, and the exhuast mid pipe. once all stripped back, i then removed the coolant pipe which is just under-neath the inlet manifold on the back of the block right near the TVSV, and then waited a while for the block / head to drain off.

4. next job was to loosen the turbo oil feed pipe from under the turbo, this gives critcal room to push the turbo oil feed pipe about with fingers, which is in the way of the bottom portion of the HFH. i only removed 2 x 12mm nuts on the oil feed pipe.

5. the hose from hell is attatched to a small u-shaped hard pipe which in turn bolts upto the oil cooler with 2 x 10mm a/f nuts. undo the right hand nut. and cut the unthreaded bit off the top of the right hand thread.. (as its not used) you can do this with a small junior hacksaw no problem.

here you can see the stud cut short..was done in situ in 5 minutes,

once you have cut the top off the right hand thread.. you can then move the hard pipe out of its holes on the oil cooler.. and then your nearly there.. you wiggle this hard pipe your wiggling the HFH too... simple.

now.. i used a pair of long needle nose pliers and a bit of wrestling to remove the HFH from the top hard pipe which routes around the block. i used the pliers to move the spring clip off tension, and then used them to rip the leaky hose form the hard-pipe. this picture shows where the hfh and its 'hard pipe' sits.... green/pink :

clean both hard pipe ends up with emery cloth etc, then wipe with oil. then push one end of the new HFH onto the top hard pipe left on the block.

you then get the small u shaped hard pipe.. and insert into the HFH on the block, ensure hfh HFH is evenly spread between the two hard pipes, and then wiggle the threads of the hard pipe back into the oil cooler holes, bolt up, and then remove the tension clips off the HFH with a screwdriver etc.. they ping off, it snaps shut around your pipe, and theres your HFH changed

re-assmeble engine!, re-bleed.

took me 5 hours top to tail so is no easy job, but not as hard as its cracked up. stripping back is easy, removing the rotten and 'stuck' hose can be trying, took me about 15-20 minutes painful wiggling. you will need long nose pliers / sharp craft knife / junior hacksaw / patience lol

no turbo or oil cooler removed.

:thumbsup:
    Last edited by adamh; 18-03-2007 at 11:01.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

excellent guide mate..

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    very well done sir! needs stickying if hasnt been already 10/10.

EDIT:stuck
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 18-03-2007 at 08:46.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

dam stupid place!. good idea tony, its just what i was mulling over.. i never got round to fitting antying else over it although

cool .. when it splits again its going silicon and heat wrap

does someone have the part number for the gasket with three holes in this picture, it sits inbetween this hose and the oil cooler (just underneath oil filter).

mine im afraid is weeping, and needs replacing, ive tried tightening it but it still weeps (maybe one drip over night etc) i should have changed it when i did the hfh. never mind!... make sure you change this gasket aswell when doing the hose

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    rev1 16258-88382
    rev2 16258-88383

:thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Good thing you made the guide to follow when taking it off again:)

handy ;) . i should be abled to change this gasket with evertything in situ .. apart from one thing...

coolant.

cheers for the number paul.

i did have to drain the coolant out of the block again, as before i drained by unplugging the water inlet hose into the back of the block under the dizzy with the car jacked up 4 inches or so at the rear. this retains the water upfront in rad etc and drains the block out enough to get this little u pipe undone at the join without dripping all over the place :thumbsup: you'll loose about 4 litres, and when done top up & bleed before lowering the car. with the top of the right hand thread ct back as decribed earlier in the thread you can get this out again without stripping anything off.. i had to strip off the dip-stick thats all.

this time i used a new gasket which was £2.50 and some red gasket sealent just to be safe, shes all filled up again now and run for a while with no weeps anywhere, i'll check again tommorow after some deep meditation.

toyota use a black goo on this particular gasket its quite flat and very hard and very thin.. i had managed to scratch the goo from the centre to the outside edge on re-assembly, so no matter how much i torqued the nuts down.. they woudlnt compress the black stuff!.. and weeped out of the small track.

change this gasket for a fresh one and use some fresh gasket sealer to be sure if you have to tackle the...

"hose from hell" :eekdoor:

Last edited by adamh; 19-04-2007 at 20:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast