Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The V6...

I'd not call it that contradictory though to be honest?

They don't mention head work, but they do mention that the Y pipe is good for 10-15bhp. Cams aren't worth a great deal unless you want to extend the rev range.

It's a good article, written a while ago now though, these people have progressed so much more since then.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    i must agree with mr G on that one.....learning as we go.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods
    i must agree with mr G on that one.....learning as we go.
    First time for everything eh? :)

Firstly look the engine over - BEFORE you clean it - for signs of ANY type of leak, this will give you an idea of what might need replacing. But you should serioulsy consider the following...

Change the head gaskets - take note of shim sizes/clearnces while you're at it. The V6's are quite prone to failure of the head gaskets. £60-80

Check the water pump (there is a weep hole under the pully - if it's wet/rusty - replace the housing) - £30

Replace thermostat - £5-8

Fit new Cambelt - £20

Check all cam side bearings (spin them -if they sound rough/dont spin/wobble - replace them) - These can be expensive items £100-200

Remove and clean deposits from O2 Sensors (CAREFULLY) - £0 :)

Check the oil pump clearances - if worn replace - £ dunno, hehe

Change the spark plugs - £12-20

Check leads and dizzy cap for cracks/splits (remove the deposits on the dizzy contacts too) - £70-120
    New leads and Dizzy can come later if yours are servicable for now)

Fit a new oil filter - £10-15 (get a FRAM oil filter)

that just about covers the basics, but if you're gonna change the head gaskets, defo consider having the heads ported - a business associate of mine can sort that for you. Also think about your future plans at this stage. If you are going to go the NA way you might want to increase the compression ratio, but if going the boost route you may want keep it standard or even lower it.

But most of all - enjoy it

...oh and paint the sucker :)
    you cannot have creation, without first a little destruction

thanks peebs.

i am unsure of what i want to do to the engine - i want to do something different if i can to a turbo or SC, ant keeps talking about throttle bodies...?

nina
    www.storm-arashi.co.uk - coming soon

As Olber already noted, throttle bodies are going to be pretty useless unless you also go for a head port, plus it gets expensive and complicated as you need to change so much of the original setup when going down this road.

AND to a certain degree, it can be a "restrictive road" as you may need to replace the TB's for a larger (or smaller) sized ones at a later date after carrying out other performance work. (Larger isn't always better - no matter what your mother told you) ;)

TB's are great don't get me wrong, but they can be a pain in the ass in more ways than one - especially in the back pocket region !
    you cannot have creation, without first a little destruction

Indeed, TB's were a favourite with the pug205 brigade. The amount of times i saw them fit them and make 5bhp or not even change was scary.

Sometimes it works but more often than not it jus makes a lot of noise. On that note...

Get the heads done, make sure it's perfect, then decide what you wanna do.

i want noise! but i also want performance!
    www.storm-arashi.co.uk - coming soon

If you want noise and performance then go with tried and trusted methods - well, current methods. Head work I think is the key first, and a good y pipe design.

Cheers Tone.

Headwork and Y pipe is probably relatively cheap if shopped around. Tony (4V6) could possibly help with a (cheap) head work setup, any decent exhaust place should be able to make you a new downpipe and Y pipe onto your current cat-back system for a couple of hundred sheets.

That'll get you into Rev 3 turbo power bands of 230-240bhp hopefully. At a later date, you can piggyback to smooth out the power curves. Either way, you'll have a stormer of a car :)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast