Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ST185 caliper rebuild - daft questions from the mechanically inept

Quote Originally Posted by Gary.H
    So, even if I prep it well, brush painting it will make it nasty again - :hmm:

I thought most plating processes involved chemical dips and then electro plating, which would plate the entire surface (including threads and bores etc) or not ?

Trying to keep the costs sensible - otherwise I may as well have ordered the entire WMS kit off this 'Keri' bloke lol
    L o L, I better shut up! :hidesbehi

Quote Originally Posted by keri-WMS
    L o L, I better shut up! :hidesbehi
    Only joking mate. Btw the ST185 discs and Redstuff pads turned up yesterday - cheers, they look great.

Anyone got any tips for achieving the best possible finish if I 'do' brush paint ?

engine laquer can come out quite smooth if your careful and seems quite hard wearing!

Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedsam
    engine laquer can come out quite smooth if your careful and seems quite hard wearing!

Just an idea
    Good point, particularly daft I didn't think of it given I've just been using some to make an engine I'll be selling (niiiice tuned ford xflow) look the part - British Racing Green of course!

Expensive stuff though.... (£30 per tin rings a bell)

Quote Originally Posted by keri-WMS
    Good point, particularly daft I didn't think of it given I've just been using some to make an engine I'll be selling (niiiice tuned ford xflow) look the part - British Racing Green of course!

Expensive stuff though.... (£30 per tin rings a bell)

hmmm god knows what I have then as it was about £6/tin got one tin from halfrauds and one from local factors and both seem the same, did my rear calipers in it and seems ok as only prep was a very quick bead blast and I aint no skilled painter or owt! perhaps the stuff you have is better again!

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedsam
    hmmm god knows what I have then as it was about £6/tin got one tin from halfrauds and one from local factors and both seem the same, did my rear calipers in it and seems ok as only prep was a very quick bead blast and I aint no skilled painter or owt! perhaps the stuff you have is better again!
    Gowd knows. I got mine years ago! I did notice on another occasion that Halfords "caliper paint" smells and behaves like hammerite... :idea:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234