Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally started to paint

Finally started to paint

Its been a long time coming but finally started to paint.

Started with the modified engine lid and after a few mishaps with the primer because the original gun I bought was knackered I have ended up with this.

Made loads loads of mistakes and its far from being perfect buts its a start and things can only hopefully get better.

Some pics

Last edited by David Sleith; 19-02-2007 at 16:14.

The colour is a 2k solid called purporot which I think is a much better colour than the standard toyota red
    Last edited by David Sleith; 19-02-2007 at 16:29.

Looking good!

Seeing a distinct lack of red mist overspray in the background - I'm guessing you've been spraying them elsewhere and drying them in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by David Sleith
    The colour is a 2k solid called purporot which I think is a much better colour than the strandard toyota red
    Your right. It looks the bomb.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice one David. Good to see this moving again mate. The fans tucked in there look spot on too.:thumbsup:

86 Mk1.5 Eurosport - Black

My Garage
    The Mk1.5 Swap Thread
    The Bodykit Thread
    -----------------------------
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Looking good!

Seeing a distinct lack of red mist overspray in the background - I'm guessing you've been spraying them elsewhere and drying them in the garage?
    Sprayed right where it is hanging just now. The paint is still wet in the pics and it looks better than it actually is. Still got the finshing work to do.

Looks like there were some solid particles on the surface prior to painting so need to take more care cleaning beforehand. Hopefully will polish up better.

The arse I made of the high build primer due to the spray pattern adjuster on the gun not working cost me a lot of time in rubbing and I didn't get all the sags out completely which I'm annoyed at.

For a first try at spraying I'm relatively happy and I'm sure I can improve on it for the other panels.
    Last edited by David Sleith; 19-02-2007 at 16:39.

you wont keel over from doing a car in 2K, but it's not going to be fun either. The real danger from isocyanates comes from prolonged exposure, eg if painting is your job and you dont use a proper air-fed respirator.

nice work dave, look forward to seeing the car getting blown in :)
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Quote Originally Posted by FourVeeSix
    2k? As in isocyanate 2k? Hope its not matey else if youve not got the right spray mask youre likely to keel over cos that stuffs deadly.
    Youll be looking like this ...please for your own safety just make sure its not got that isocyante component in it.

Ps, lid looks cool as! :thumbsup:
    Got a full face mask positive pressure 8CFM respirator that I bought in the states called a Hobbyair. It runs from a box with HEPA filters positioned 80ft away and a nylon non kink hose. Specially designed for use with spraying 2K.

You can't get them in the UK as your not supposed to be spraying 2K in your back garden!!!

Its like being in a force ten gale when you put in on and looks like a firemens mask but with extra protective disposable screen shields.

Its a 220v unit which is not a kick in the arse away from our domestic supply voltage but I was more worried about the difference in supply frequency in that the states has 60Hz and its 50Hz in the UK.

Consequences is that the unit is running rather warm and it may not last very long. If it packs in I may be able to replace the motor with a 50hz unit but in the meantime its keeping my lungs nice and clean.

Did consider getting an air fed mask for the compressor but you need special filtering to prevent the oil mist from the compressor motor and other crap from entering your lungs plus the compressor would need to be on the big side to feed my lungs and the spray gun.

You can get filter masks to filter 2K and a lot of the local small spray shops round my area use them. Problem is that when the filter saturates and you don't know when that will hapen as there is no indication you then inhale the deadly fumes.

Its the biggest cause of occupational lung problems in the world and according to the government website in acute cases can kill you within minutes of exposure. Most people just become sensitised to the fumes and if they every get near it again they can't breath.

Done a lot of info digging before I started spraying.
    Last edited by David Sleith; 19-02-2007 at 22:36.

More Priming

Paint on these panels when I get out my pit as I'm off today

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast