Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Advice?

Ahh well, I think I'll leave the TRD SC unit for now, as it will cost a loada dosh for (at the moment) not that much gain - and knowing my luck I would get stung for tax and import duty anyway.

If I decide to invest the cash into performance gains, I'll think I'll put it into getting the heads done, after market ecu and making sure everything is ok with the engine first.

.....and then maybe invest in a twin screw in the future as they sound the nuts and would scare small children as I pass - and not so small children for that matter.. :twisted:

I can always invest in a TRD unit later on if one comes up cheaply enough, once the ground works done. :thumbsup:

Heads, valves and maybe some modercate cams with the ECU and I reckon you're looking at 50bhp more.

Hey Johhny / Fizzy, for that sot of money you could probably remove that old V6 and fit one of those uber fast rev 1 turbos instead, or better still build a complete MK1.5!

Only prodding mate, tis great to see these V6 cars' development being catapulted forward :thumbsup:

Peace MOFOs

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Hmm.... 250-275 bhp would be a nice level I recon.

My tweaked turbo was 275 bhp peak, in typical turbo delivery fashion....and was fast once you got into the turbo zone and kept the turbo spooled up.

..the same level in a smooth na power delivery would be very nice. :D

Would also mean that the turbo clutch should be fine. ;)

You'd be needing the TRD for that - or a complete sacrifice of the low end driveability if you keep it N/A!

Headwork, Valves, Cams and Mapping = 235-240bhp imo

Add the 4psi TRD to that and I reckon you're at 280bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny g
    You'd be needing the TRD for that - or a complete sacrifice of the low end driveability if you keep it N/A!

Headwork, Valves, Cams and Mapping = 235-240bhp imo

Add the 4psi TRD to that and I reckon you're at 280bhp.
    When you say valves, do you mean oversized valves or just three way grind or whatever which is usually done with the heads? (or at least when Pauls sends them off they are :) ).

Hmm.. ok, probably going over old stuff here, but -

So, lets say it would cost £1000 for the heads and valves to be done, (considering new head gaskets, bolts, and somebody does the mechanicing for me ;) ) and another £1600 or so (for a hydra unit, install and remap, going by your quoted prices). I understood that performance cams have very little effect if any on the 3vz?

So conservatly speaking, £2500 would get me to 230-240 mark (with possible discounts and all). Another £1000 would get me to 280 with the trd unit. Hmm.. perhaps I shouldn't have turned down that TRD unit now and got that first..... or be happy with the lower end of my "ideal" power range. lol

Obviously all guestimates, and subject to a whole number of factors (which includes available funds ;) ). Would be nice to be able to pool together info on different stages of tune on a 3vz, especially in an mr2, to see what effect each option actually has so its easier to work out the best options for peoples tastes/budgets.

Sounds like stock levels is expected to be 185 bhp then - must get my car RR'd to see if the custom exhaust mid section, the lack of air con on the engine etc has much effect. ;)

Hmm. All good stuff lads. Might it be worth a new sticky V6 tuning thread with a list of different mods and an estimate of what difference in BHP, torque or driveability each would yield? When some solid data is available this could become the reference for future swappers.

Ground breaking work chaps. Oh one other thought. Maybe we should put one of these engines back in a Camry and see what it can do!

All the best,

Owen.

Let's put a 4AGE in a Camry :)

Cringe.

O.S.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast