Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny g
    Well, if you run a new fuel pump, you'll probably be ok!
    Well, already using a walbro 255l/hr pump, as it was installed by a previous owner when the turbo engine conversion was done. Probably overkill for the V6 even when sc'd?

Head work will just not give you as much power as maybe Jinja or me. Also, the 4psi pulley is based on the 1MZ, on the 3VZ we're thinking approximately 3psi - so you should be fine.
    Sorry - do you mean that if I don't get any headwork done it will simply mean I will just not have as much power as maybe you or Jinja (pretty obviously ;) ) or that if I get my heads done it won't be as effective as the headwork done on yours...? Just considering that I would need another set of head gaskets, probably head bolts too and heads have been of a few times now etc.

Hmm..... didn't know that about the SC though. So would that mean that if I got hold of a 5.5psi pulley, it would actually be more like 4.5 on the 3vz?

Does seem like a lot of effort/cost for a 3 psi boost at stock..... any ideas on the expected gains from a 3 psi sc boost on a stock/untweaked engine?

As ever though, my advice - go for a dyno pull and get the AFR tested!
    Yup - meaning to get it all tuned up anyway, and may look into getting a standalone ecu regardless - even if its just to get the quirks out of the auto ecu setup.

Thanks for the info though, you've given me a bit more to think on.... :hmm: may even leave the SC for a bit.
    Last edited by Fizzy; 26-01-2007 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy
    Well, already using a walbro 255l/hr pump, as it was installed by a previous owner when the turbo engine conversion was done. Probably overkill for the V6 even when sc'd?
    I don't think so. Don't forget, old pumps are ageing and are leaning out, can't pump as well as they did. Better too much than not enough!

Sorry - do you mean that if I don't get any headwork done it will simply mean I will just not have as much power as maybe you or Jinja (pretty obviously ;) ) or that if I get my heads done it won't be as effective as the headwork done on yours...? Just considering that I would need another set of head gaskets, probably head bolts too and heads have been of a few times now etc.
    You had it with the first part. Headwork simply makes the breathing better, so if you got your headwork done, you'd be up there with Jinja and me.

Hmm..... didn't know that about the SC though. So would that mean that if I got hold of a 5.5psi pulley, it would actually be more like 4.5 on the 3vz?
    Around that mark, we're assuming it's around 3psi with the 4psi pulley, so the 5.5psi will be 4-4.5psi - we'll know for sure when mine gets mapped up using MAP on the Hydra.

Does seem like a lot of effort/cost for a 3 psi boost at stock.....? Whats the expected gains from a 3 psi sc boost on a stock/untweaked engine?
    I'd say you're looking for 220-235bhp max. But if you get the headwork done then you're looking around 270bhp then if you map it and lean it out, then I'd say somewhere around 290-300bhp would be possible, as the ECU is chucking in more fuel than it needs.

Yup - meaning to get it all tuned up anyway, and may look into getting a standalone ecu regardless - even if its just to get the quirks out of the auto ecu setup.
    Hmm, interesting. Fancy coming in on a Hydra, see if we can get some money off?

Thanks for the info though, you've given me a bit more to think on.... :hmm: may even leave the SC for a bit.
    You're welcome mate!

Originally Posted by Fizzy
    Thanks for the info though, you've given me a bit more to think on.... may even leave the SC for a bit.
    Listen to this and you might just change your mind ! i know i have

Ahh yes, thats a V8 with a Twin Screw though, the noises are different lol. If you do want a good one, listen to this one howl.

Forward to around 1m 30s into it. This is the unit I'm getting :)

I don't think so. Don't forget, old pumps are ageing and are leaning out, can't pump as well as they did. Better too much than not enough!
    Very true. :D

You had it with the first part. Headwork simply makes the breathing better, so if you got your headwork done, you'd be up there with Jinja and me.
    Ok, just wanted to make sure. As I said, as I'll need not only to pay for the headwork and all (not up to doing it myself), then the headgaskets and new head bolts (where did you get the ARP ones from anyway?) that will cost a fair bit on its own.

Around that mark, we're assuming it's around 3psi with the 4psi pulley, so the 5.5psi will be 4-4.5psi - we'll know for sure when mine gets mapped up using MAP on the Hydra.
    Already got a boost gauge in the car... well, the sender unit anyway (its an electronic one) that was used on the turbo. Reads up to 2 bar though, which is a large range for reading up to 5 psi on. lol.

I'd say you're looking for 220-235bhp max. But if you get the headwork done then you're looking around 270bhp then if you map it and lean it out, then I'd say somewhere around 290-300bhp would be possible, as the ECU is chucking in more fuel than it needs.
    Hmm... so, going by your rough figures, I would see almost the same level of increase from its current state from getting the heads done that I would get by installing the SC (but obviously the sc would be more effective combined with the head work)?

If thats true, then logically if I wanted to do the engine tweaks in stages, then doing the head work first would be best, and cost about the same as the sc unit (~£1000?) - although there may be additional costs with the SC for all the little bits and bobs that need to be done to fit it onto a 3vz in the mr2.

Hmm, interesting. Fancy coming in on a Hydra, see if we can get some money off?
    Wouldn't mind. I did voice an interest when you opened a thread on it before, but then thought I had sourced a manual ecu.... and then that all went pear shaped. Stupid ebay sellers. :(

I'll have to look up on the prices you quoted again. I know that using the hydra should cure the semi-warm stalling problems, tweak the fuelling for a bit more power (minor gains), hopefully a little better throttle response, and also allow for in gear optimisations... I think... :D .... ? Better start budgetting and see which would be better for me as I'll probably end up selling the pug to help finiance it all and then end up using it as a daily driver.

Also got a stock turbo clutch at the moment, so will have to take into account the fact that I may need a better clutch if I do it all... :D

yeah, I've just updated the hydra prices mate..

Last time i heard something like that it was at a steam rally lol Sounds superb - what kind of whine does the eaton make ? Think i'm going to need one of these !

Ahh yes, thats a V8 with a Twin Screw though, the noises are different lol. If you do want a good one, listen to this one howl.

Kinda wierd - thats the same noise my old nitro powered RC car made under full pelt. :rofl:

:D:D awesome sound :D :D

Crickey - that on some sort of clutch system, as it seems to just potter along then suddenly whoooooooooooooooosh?? Os is it just the way the driver is...erm.. "driving it"?

Accelerates like a demon though, and the engines moves a lot with the torque!! Mad - but great. :thumbsup:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast