Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Droplinks

Replacing Droplinks

When replacing droplinks is there any other part that may as well be done at the same time?

How long should the average DIYer take to do the droplinks? Are there any special tools needed or will my original 'tool rag' tools surfice?!

u need allen keys and some spanners. You might find though that the bolts are corroded solid, grinder time if they are!
    my names dave......

Plenty of wd40. I used an allen key socket to do mine, as you can get more leverage. Having a mate handy is always useful. Did my rears in about an hour. They popped straight off though I had to extend my spanner slightly!

I agree with Welly, stock links should come off with spanners and an allen key....but if the allen key hole is corroded then a small grinder is the way to go. I've removed four pairs and used a grinder for three of them.

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

What the guys have said, Best just to have eveything handy when you do the job, If the allen key works, If it's rusted undue it slightly and then wind it back this will remove the rust on the bolt and stop it ceasing and rounding the allen key hole (hope you understand what i'm saying)

Yup... thanks for the advice everyone. Just waiting for my twosrus.com membership confirmation to come through so I can order their droplinks.

Don't you mk1 guys have any alternative drop links, to the standard ones, on my mk2 i used bmw mini and volvo s40 ones, came to about ?50 total for 4

yep fiesta droplinks, cut in half and then welded so that the ends are pointing the correct way
    my names dave......

There must be some direct fit ones, the ones i've said are a straight fit for the MK2

nope nothing out there, unless u want to drill the bolt holes larger on the strut
    my names dave......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast