Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev3 ECU swap progress......

Rev3 ECU swap progress......

Well, i started my ECU swap today and thought i would document it as i went along, for future reference!
    Didnt get much done before the rain started, just fitted the inlet air temp sensor in the metal elbow between the AFM and the turbo.
    The sensor is off an ST205 GT4 that has the sensor in the airbox lid. it was just a matter of drilling a 20mm hole in the elbow with a holesaw, then fitting the rubber retaining gromment into place and sealing it with instant gasket, then pushing the sensor into the rubber retainer.

Pics describe it better!

Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

/shouts "makita" in annoying "tequila" voice..
    its a good start..!
    stickied thread for reference..

Cheers!
    Maybe best seeing if it works first!

The jerry can of petrol and the rag are for if it doesnt work.....

of course itll work eventually, this is TB..itll be nice just reading your progress anyway..

Got some more done on this in the last couple of days, getting on well!

I removed the inlet manifold and the rev2 cold start injector and replaced it with the rev3 systems MAT sensor.
    It was just a case of unbolting the injector, making up an adapter plate for the MAT sensor and then bolting the sensor in place. The time was taken up mostly by removing the manifold from the engine which i would have had to do anyway when it came to replacing the fuel injectors etc.

Manifold with cold start injector in place

Injector and MAT sensor side by side with homemade adapter plate show too.

Mat sensor bolted in place :)

With the inside work finished it was back out to the cold :(

Removed TVIS butterflies from TVIS rail as the rev3 system doesnt have TVIS. For that reason i also removed the TVIS solenoid valve, as well as the Turbo's VSV which was disconnected anyway as they were both fitted to the same bracket on the underside of the manifold. It seems stupid replacing things that wont be used!

TVIS Rail:

After this i removed the fuel rail from the head and replaced the Rev2 injectors and fuel pressure regulator with the Rev3 items.
    I had a rev3 fuel rail as well but there was no way that would fit in the rev2 head so i just fitted the rev3 injectors and FPR into the rev2 fuel rail.
    The only other issue was the fuel feed for the now redundant cold start injector. This was a small metal pipe. There was two options, replace the banjo bolt with a solid bolt or snip the pipe and bash it flat to seal it off.
    As i couldnt find a bolt with the same thread i snipped the pipe, folded it over with pliers and then bashed it flat with a hammer. I'll watch it carefully to see if it leaks and get a bolt for it in the long term.

Rev2 rail with rev3 injectors and FPR, note snipped off pipe for redundant cold start injector in the middle of the fuel rail.

Last edited by Murf; 02-01-2007 at 17:31.

Next step was to replace the rev 2 systems turbo pressure sensor with the MAP sensor that the Rev3 uses instead.
    That was pretty simple, just a case of unplugging the old one and plugging in the MAP sensor, then fitting the pressure pipe and bolting the bracket to the firewall. The only minor issue was that my car was fitted with a fuel cut defender in the wiring loom for the old sensor which i had to desolder.

I then removed the rev2 igniter and coil and swapped them for rev3 items.
    These were a straight swap apart from having to remove a lug for the plug on the rev3 igniter that stops the rev2 wiring loom plug from fitting. 5 seconds with a junior hacksaw sorted that out :thumbsup:

After that i swapped over the rev2 fuel injector resistor pack for the rev3 item, this was a straight swap. I'm not sure if i needed to do this but i had one anyway and figured it wouldnt do any harm.

All thats left to do is remove the old ECU and the MAF and then connect up the new sensors and rev3 ecu, happy days

good work murf, didnt know you had a swap going on!. i'll measure the pipe thread for you tommorow while im passing by the workshop
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

M8 x 1 if its the same as a rev 1
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Cheers dude :)
    Now, where do i get one from?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast