Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Extending ratios on the E153

Any joy on the 3.6xx FD mate?

i just confirmed today. the status on the 3.625 oil pump drive has been switched to discontinued. for the longest time it was just 0 available. the only possible source for these is junkyards now

basicaly it comes down to not being cost effective to do this anymore. the transmissions available out there are more or less all over 200k miles and they still want 400-500$ for them. plus there aren't very many so you need to pay shipping on top of that, and then you aren't even guaranteed the right gear-set becuase someone may have swapped to a 3.933 gearset at some point in it's life.

if you *REALLY* want a 3.625 gearset, i can find you one but it won't be cheap.

Furry muff.

I was interested mainly for comparison on cost / availability. I think 3.933 would be sufficient to address my main concern - no need to turn the AW11 into a cruise liner as (a) that's not why I bought it and (b) its not exactly refined enough to pull that off, irrespective of gearing lol

So, incase I haven't looked at the complete thread, does a Celica GT4 E153 contain the correct parts to extend the MR2 FD ratio to ~3.9 equivalent?

The final drive varies country to country. So I'm not sure how to answer your question. But check with your local dealer. The ring gear has three part numbers 4.2 3.9 and 3.6. The 3.6 is us and Australia only so I'd the ring gear parnt number does not match the mr2. It's the 3.9 gear set

To me, the 3.9 sounds like the goldilocks ratio for a 2GR-FE Mk2 - not too hot (short), not too cold (long). Will investigate..

The 3.6 is for fuel economy only. The 3.9 is likely a very nice compromise

Quote Originally Posted by Rosssco View Post
    To me, the 3.9 sounds like the goldilocks ratio for a 2GR-FE Mk2 - not too hot (short), not too cold (long). Will investigate..
    It certainly seems to be 'better' than the stock e153 ratios. (personal preference). A bit less lively in first and second, and to have had the gearbox stripped, cleaned and rebuilt has helped too........

It's like a magic carpet now i tell ya :)

Sounds better 'road' gearing, unless you like wheel spin! What are the speeds / revs in gear now (if you've had a chance to check? I.e. 70 mpg cruising rpm?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast