Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats can be done to change the gearing to get a higher top speed?

Whats can be done to change the gearing to get a higher top speed?

I want to try and get a higher top speed?

the standard gear box will only see upto 160mph

any advice?

fenspurt charge around 5k for there straight cut box but it will give you 200mph if you have the power lol

quaife dont list the mr2 turbo :cry:

Erm. Hmm.

ST165 Final Drive Ratio and then maybe a Solara 5th gear ratio from the states?

ST165 FDR will give 186mph me thinks. Solara will lengthen 5th even more.

I plan on getting the ST165 mod done in the new year....

Oh Paul ....

seriously Stu if your chasing top speeds in a MK1 your goona need to do soemething about the front end downforce or your gonna end up needin a pilots licence above 140 ! the MK1 really aint a top speed contender without auro mods IMHO as the the front will lift and keep lifting if you aint careful ! scoop the bonnet our and direct air around NOT over the windscreen and barge board the underside as a bare minimum, also gonna need to swap that rear spoiler out for them sorta speeds and raise the angle and hight of the deck fin !

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedsam
    seriously Stu if your chasing top speeds in a MK1 your goona need to do soemething about the front end downforce or your gonna end up needin a pilots licence above 140 ! the MK1 really aint a top speed contender without auro mods IMHO as the the front will lift and keep lifting if you aint careful ! scoop the bonnet our and direct air around NOT over the windscreen and barge board the underside as a bare minimum, also gonna need to swap that rear spoiler out for them sorta speeds and raise the angle and hight of the deck fin !
    cool,does this mean we can have a silly size spoiler and get away with it :thumbsup:

yeah i knew front down force would be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by FourVeeSix
    Hi Stu, you could always get a custom 5th cluster made by the likes of quaife or similiar companies.
    Itd leave the rest of the ratios as they are so youd get up to speed pretty quick and the 5th would be more of an overdrive gear for high, high speed croozing. :mrgreen:
    how hard is it to swap the 5th cluster ?

didnt i read that someone - i think quantumtools - has just removed the gt4 cluster as it wouldnt mesh correctly?

yes quantumtools it was

hey guys, fired up the the car last night after pulling the gearbox down and swapping all the clusters aropund again as the gt4 ones wouldn't mesh properly.

perhaps fire off a pm to see what the problems were?

Quote Originally Posted by lodgeman
    perhaps fire off a pm to see what the problems were?
    I may be way off the mark here but I think it was that the gt4 gears wouldn't mesh properly...

:hidesbehi

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman
    I may be way off the mark here but I think it was that the gt4 gears wouldn't mesh properly...

:hidesbehi

Owen.
    lol :slap:

have pm'd him ,just asked for a bit of info

Pending
    hey guys just got the dilemma, the problem we had with the gt4 bits are as follows.

The gt4 main cluster would not mesh with our standard sw20 secondary cluster.
    the two gt4 clusres will mesh together in our housing but not by mixing two different sets together.

This may not happen to all sets but be very careful in your assembly and check clearances, not like we did.

also use the bgb diagrams, it makes it alot easier.

hope that helps, any other questions pm me or stick em on the site i will check back more frequently

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast