thread: Gear Linkage Cables

Mar 2005
    south east
    i'll know as soon as it runs if can get my gears properly :) . i did 'turn' the body of the clevis back some 4mm.. and also chopped the thread 9mm, and removed the nut and bottomed the shoulder out .. it has centered the stick position well, and i think i can select alright, i guess i'll know when its running.. my clutch hyd' isnt hooked up yet either which dosent help. if it dont select i know what i got to do. here are some pics of my mechy's... i have plenty of movement on the threads, altho im on centre with l/r and it mates at the bell crank just right. The forward back appears to be allright, we'll see.

Last edited by adamh; 14-12-2009 at 20:27.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    thats a beautiful job.... =D>

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Feb 2006
    coventry
    just noticed adam, ive done very similar to you with this one

Sep 2005
    Bedford
    I take it you had to cut the thread on those yourself??
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Mar 2005
    south east
    'snap' i get the cards :) ..

so you have, yep.. the wonders of difference on the gear cables eh. i turned the shoulder of my rod eye back too... i stuck a bit of studding in the lathe.. screwed the rod eye onto it.. then ran a parting off tool straight into it and took some 3-4mm off that shoulder (just above the centre line in your blue circle). its fun threading the cable isnt it :mrgreen: .. i held mine with mole grips to stop twisting. throw a few nuts on that chap.. it will strengthen the join when its locked off

Feb 2006
    coventry
    ah crap ive put the interior back now, its actually very tight so i dont think i'll need the bolts. yes the threading is good fun, been wanting a tap & die set for years but have been too tight to part with my money, very usefull kits though.

Oct 2005
    Newport, South Wales
    Are you clever chaps using oposing threads so you can rotate the insert to alter the length or is it an unclip from stick, twiddle and then reclip?

Ta,

O.S.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Sep 2005
    Bedford
    Are you clever chaps using oposing threads so you can rotate the insert to alter the length or is it an unclip from stick, twiddle and then reclip?

Ta,

O.S.
    Now that is pure genius..!! Top idea mate - just give it a little twizzle to adjust it!!
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Mar 2005
    south east
    well put. i've settled for a quick fiddle tho.

Jun 2007
    Massachucetts, USA
    What size Threaded coupler did you guys typically used for those rods you cut in the shifter linkage.

And did you thread those rods yourself?

thanks