Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear Linkage Cables

Gear Linkage Cables

Having Problems with my gear linkage cables.

Just spend a wasted two hours in the garage putting them on, taking them off, putting them on etc....

Do you need to modify the cables to select all the gears as it seems to be the left to right selection thats the problem. If so what did you lot do?

i modified the shifter..see pic..

The forward/backward selection also seems a little like it needs to be shortened as the gear selection isnt central and seems a bit too far forward.

Anybody else the same?

maybe a mm or two but i didnt need to alter mine and that was with a 5mm lowering plate installed too, so you shouldnt have a problem with clearance..

OK thanks

That puts my mind to rest that I need to alter it and I hadn't just mucked it up.

OK thanks

That puts my mind to rest that I need to alter it and I hadn't just mucked it up.

there is a threaded adjuster for the forwards/backwards cable..may be able to adjust it enough with that?..

i had to adjust the farward back adjuster to get mine right there wasnt enough adjustment so i took the locking nut off and its been fine no probs at all

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    it seems the mk1b needs the left/right cable adjusting,i lengthened the cable just before it attaches to the stick,that worked,but niks method is equally as effective,whichever you feel easiest with.

On my 1.5 (mk1a) the cables didnt need ANY modification at all,they worked as they were,all i had to do was bend the stick back a smidge so mk1a and b cables must be different somehow.

You could use mk2 turbo cables or ive heard SC cables plug n play also,mind you its that little to mod your mk1b cables that its not worth the hassle.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

s/c cables need the left/right one lengthened also. I think it's due to different mounting brackets on the tranny. Pretty easy to do though, I had a sleeve that fit quite well over the exposed rod at the end of the cable (shifter end) so I just cut it, centered the cable and the shifter, then welded the sleeve to either end of the rod. Using a sleeve gives you a bit more strength that simply inserting a piece of rod in the middle, and makes it easier to get the length exactly right :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast