Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft dimensions needed-Adam?

gents, just out of interest, ive had time to put my measurements up.. interesting find :

the mesh was 18mm also (witness).
    the number in the middle, is the toy' part number for the bearing.
    i will be taking the shaft off again soon to replace the diff oil seal, so i can take a snap up against a yard stick.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    now thats put the cat among the pigeons! 445 overall length! now thats more like the difference i found between my turbo shaft and v6...about 33mm i found....what the hell is going on? seems toyota have produced a number of different length supported output shafts.....great.

By the way adam,prob the best technical drawings in the history of engineering ever! :lol: love em mate

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yes your right Paul after Alans measurements I reread your V6 article because I thought you said the V6 had the shorter shaft. Very puzzling all this. It still looks as though V6 supported shaft + St 185/165 and no need to move bearing because everyones shafts look the same at the business end, just different lengths :oops:
    Looks like we need a proper survey of shafts :shock:

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

hi chaps - before you start getting all excited about different length driveshafts. been away for a couple of days and reread the post when i got back and that got me to think if my measurements were correct so i remeasured them and they all check out apart from the overall length which was 447 mm not 407 mm :oops: oops sorry guys.it the words of nik " it was a pebcak"

Thank God for that :shock:
    Don't panic Captain Woods :)
    So Lodge, fingers crossed, you can bolt your V6 supported shaft up to your turbo gearbox knowing that the splines are fully meshed.

Don\'t look back!

thats if i ever get a v6 :lol:

you got a good shaft then ferret ?

the bearing 90363-41003 is 27 quid from mrT. for reference.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

yes got turbo supported shaft if anybody needs one :lol:

Thanks Alan the turbo shaft arrived today.;)
    The pic shows the two shafts with their support bearings aligned. The turbo shaft is 28mm longer but 6mm of that is in the middle section of the shaft and the other 22mm at the flange end where it joins the inner CV joint. The right hand ends are identical where they fit in the diff. So for a V6 engine swap the turbo supported shaft could be used together with a pair of turbo driveshafts. This would require the bearing to be moved on the shaft by 6mm so that the shaft itself moved 6mm away from the gearbox. Paul's V6 article describes this mod. Paul and I have both used the V6 supported shaft with ST165/185 driveshafts which bolts straight up with no need for the bearing to be moved. However, because the turbo supported shaft is longer and the turbo driveshafts shorter, both set ups have similar overall lengths, BUT the turbo drivetrain gives an engine position 10-15mm nearer the nearside (left) of the engine bay and increasing the clearance for the crank pulley.
    Its debatable whether its worth it but we now know either combi is possible. Of course, the ST165/185 outer CVs fit the Mk1 hubs but the turbo ones need changing!

Don\'t look back!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    i dont think ive ever read a more informative post on TB,well done JB that really is priceless info...so this is why the mk2 V6ers (who always use the turbo shaft) need to relocate the bearing....much easier for us to use the V6 auto shaft and gt4 driveshafts of course.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast