Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft dimensions needed-Adam?

Driveshaft dimensions needed-Adam?

Hope someone can help with this :)
    Paul and I have been discussing the need for moving the bearing on the V6 supported driveshaft to engage the splines further into the turbo box. It looks as though this doesn't improve the engagement because the splines inside the diff are shorter than those on the shaft and already fully engaged. If this is the case no advantage is gained by making this mod.
    The pic shows the V6 supported shaft, overall length 418mm, with the dust cover 90mm from the splined end. The inset shows the shaft splines 25mm long. Also on the inset the polished contact face on the splines shows that the splines inside the diff are 18.5 mm and centrally match up on the shaft splines :roll:
    So can some helpful person with a turbo supported shaft make the same measurements. Hopefully they will all be the same except the overall length :)
    This info should help all future V6ers Thanks :D

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Priceless info supplied by lodgeman....

went down and bought a supported shaft for the measurements you wanted

Click on the image to view it at its original size

a = 22mm
    b = 91 mm
    c = 407 mm
    d = 65mm
    e = 342
    f = 30mm
    g = 35mm

hope thay help you/us?
    any other measurements give me a shout

al and jb thats gold dust info chaps,so ive taken the liberty of combining the two threads and stickying....definately useful for another v6er.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hey Paul you moved it just as I was replying :? :roll:

Thanks Lodge :D is that deffo a turbo shaft?
    Can you also check the shiny witness marks on one side of each spline because this tells us the size and location of the splines inside the diff
    Could save us some work this :)
    Still need your measurements too please Adam

Don\'t look back!

sorry JB....bad timing! yes this could be a real time saver,no need to relocate the bearing if you are correct JB.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

the measurements as close as i could get with a tape measure- is 19mm.
    the shaft came from the same car as i bought the box from which was an m reg tbar turbo.

still none the wiser as to what this all means though? :?

Jb ive just had a thought....the fact that the merkins are moving the bearing so that the shaft engages the diff more might be down to the type of shaft they are using for the swap,what i mean is they are doing this swap to mk2's,not mk1's so they are using the turbo shaft and not the v6 supported shaft.The turbo shaft is longer and im willing to bet the carrier bearing doesnt sit in the same place on the turbo shaft as it does on the v6 shaft,hence when they bolt the turbo shaft to the v6 block its keeping the splines out of the diff....i bet thats it,also they use the 1mz which may have a different mounting point on the block than 3vz.

All we really need to worry about is how it works on a mk1 though,lodge all you need to know is you have two options regarding getting drive to your wheels with a v6 fitted...

1) use the v6 automatic supported output shaft and a pair of St185 front shafts....no different outer cv joints needed,that lot will just work.As for the carrier bearing on this shaft i moved mine by 3mm which we now know isnt necessary when using the v6 shaft.

2) use the turbo supported shaft (the one you got) but you will need turbo driveshafts with that,st185 will be too long to use with the turbo supported shaft...and then you will need to order these outer CV joints from partsinabox OJ-0220/30 and stick them onto your turbo driveshafts.

Jb and i are both using the v6 supported shaft as it came with our donor cars,so you may find in using the turbo supported shaft you may have to relocate the bearing by 3 or 4 mm so that it locates fully into the diff.

Hope some of that makes sense bud.

i've already got the st185 shafts anyway so i might as well go for the v6 supported shaft system- well worth the tenner i paid for the shaft- saved a bit of time :D - if any body wants a turbo supported shaft .......... :lol:

that turbo supported shaft will definately get snapped up by someone.

That 19mm tape measurement of yours just about settles it Lodge. As Paul says if you use the supported shaft from the Camry and St185/165 shafts it will bolt straight up and moving the bearing gives no advantage.
    However I think using the turbo shafts may cause a problem because the turbo supported shaft is 11mm shorter than the Camry and therefore will not match up with the bearing support bracket location on the engine. If you remember Paul you mentioned this as an issue when I offered Dan a V6 shaft for his 3SGTE onversion.
    I think all this leads to the conclusion:
    Turbo conversion-use full set of turbo shafts with ST185/165 outer CVs
    Camry conversion-use Camry supported shaft, ST185/165 shafts with their inner and outer joints, and also use LH/nearside stub shaft from turbo box
    Lodge I see you got a mech speedo on your box, good news :)

Don\'t look back!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast