Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vic's V6 swap

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Vic's V6 swap

hi chaps,well as one swap comes to a close another starts! such is life at woodsport,mr2 overload! i love it....right! Vic is an imoc *cough* member who contacted me some months ago about a v6 mk2 conversion,he came up to woodsport,had a test drive in the demo car and left with a big smile on his face wanting one.So i will detail vics conversion here...

The day started with camry engine removal! I laid the tools out at 9am...

And by 10:45 it was ready to be lifted out,cant do one of these as quick as a 4a-ge but much faster these days than my first 8 hour attempt!

On its way out....

Annnnnd relax!

The usual routine followed,strip all unnecessary crap off the v6,power steering pump,gearbox,torque convertor,all binned....

Next she got a damn good degreasing and jet washing to get rid of 120k miles of crud.

Then it got carried inside for stripping down....by 3:15 the new gaskets were fitted and the heads cleaned up,this engines internals are spotlessly clean!

Nice clean head surfaces....i do these with a pneumatic dremel that spins at 26,000 rpm! if you dont wear a facemask you end up with little javelins of wire brush sticking out of your face! :)

I rebuilt one of the heads so thats as far as i got before hometime,lazy git that i am.

One thing to note,i spotted this on the old left gasket...now this engine has no HG failure at all,ran sweet,but just look at that gasket distortion on the middle cylinder!

Bent like a nana! and thats the factory gasket,i could tell these heads had never been off before,totally original!

So if ever this was proof that camry HG's really do need replacing as a precautionary measure this is it...its that bent that the piston has been catching the lip of the gasket on its underside.....incredible.

Lots more to come.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

cheers tone,any idea why this is happening? it screams "over-torqued heads" to me,but surely not from the factory?

Many thanks on the fly mate,just whenever you can manage it bud.

PS.. gaskets on correctly,i checked........4 times! lol

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thats some quick engine removal and build up, going for another 4 dayer?

yes its very odd tone,cant remember seeing this on any other type of engine...most bizzare! i do know there was about 1mm of fire ring left sealing the bore though,the rest of it being in the chamber! still it held for 120k,fair play.

No garbe,going to take time on this one,4 day builds are just for friends cars and my own.Ive got to retain the air con on this swap which will mean custom pipes being made and im also taking a lot more time to detail/clean stuff,couple of weeks and it will be close i reckon.

will be interesting to follow this one paul I rekon ! wouldnt mind seeing what you do with the air con as well !

Paul I would be grateful if you could detail the plumbing and wiring on this one :pray:

consider it done chaps,i'll go into detail on the wiring/plumbing and aircon.

ok todays mk2 v6ing...i rebuilt the cams on both heads and refitted the fuel rails...

Then the cam covers were cleaned up,painted silver and fitted....

Next job was to sort the manky plenum chamber out,i took the acis out of it,decoked that and gave the plenum a lovely coat of that gunmetal/blue i mixed last week on hals intercooler pipes....very swanky!

And with the throttle body and all other fixtures/fittings cleaned and painted it was finally assembled,new cambelt fitted and plastic cambelt covers given a coat of paint too....

They dont look much cleaner than that! just about ready for fitting,lots to do to the car first though,including getting rid of its 3s-ge!

Excellent, i'm not even going to say how long it took me to get to this stage , oh it's exactly where i am now :roll:

Paul thanks for the above.

oooooow nice !!! is that how mines gonna look when i finally get everything to you ?!?!?!?

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

wayne
    We ALL make mistakes....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast