Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Fizzy's V6 Swap

hi ian how you doin last time i saw you was when you ed and myself went to millway hope your enjoying the v6 be good to meet up again soon all the best podge

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

Good to hear you made it home okay, Ian.

It was a good night at that MR2 meet last night, a great day to see Ian's car all done and dusted (literally - Tony and kid bro Steve polished it all up again) plus it was me birfday - bonus ! :thumbsup:

It's been a long haul, but here we are at last.

Here's to wishing you, Ian, a whole boatload of fun in your new car matey :booze:
    you cannot have creation, without first a little destruction

Well, first day of the weekend has been interesting so far. Run up the motorway comfirmed just how smoooooooth it is when cruising - so much better than the turbo in my opinion. Had a souped up 206 following me for a while (for once not racing, just following me at an appropriate distance for quite a while ;) ) so I think they were impressed. :D

Popped up to my brothers via some nice rural roads. I'm going to have to see how the exhaust goes as its actually a bit loud, almost painfull in the cabin when at around 2-3k rpm under load....

...anyhow, showed it off to a mate of my brothers who was rather impressed, and commented it had a "hell of a note".

Then, the time came when my big bro was let loose in it for a while when he popped into the local town to pick up my nephew from work. It also happens to be where the local boy racers hang out. Needless to say I think it made an impression. :D My nephew even said the noise made the hair on his arms stand on end, and it made him think he was in an F1 car.... :mrgreen:

He also popped in to see another friend of his, who was also rather impressed, and would have most likely bought my car there and then if it was for sale. :boogie:

I think its a bit of a hit... :D

I had a little wierdness though - when I parked up at my bro's, I switched off the ignition but the engine kept on running. There was a turbo timer setup on the timer circuit of the alarm for the turbo, so thought it may be that (but it normally requires a button to be pressed on the remote). I tried switching the TT off with the remote, but nothing. Had to switch on the ignition again, make sure the alarm was off, then switched the ignition off again and it worked this time. Odd. Something I will have to watch for. Probably just some wierdness with the alarm box trying to be too clever.

I did have the enormous pleasure of seeing the car driving away erm... enthusiastically.. by my brother, and it sounds incredibly good from the outside. :D

So, tomorrow some more fun planned when I show it off to my parents, and anybody else around here... :rofl: :hidesbehi

Well i gather from the above that you are happy with the car;)

What was your cruising speed on the motorway?

I'm just a bit confused, i thought the exhaust would'nt be much louder than it was before, but just sound better with the extra cylinders.
    Anyhow, glad your happy. bet it feels like having a new car, i remember getting my first 2, i just could'nt stop driving it, any excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbe
    Well i gather from the above that you are happy with the car;)

What was your cruising speed on the motorway?

I'm just a bit confused, i thought the exhaust would'nt be much louder than it was before, but just sound better with the extra cylinders.
    Anyhow, glad your happy. bet it feels like having a new car, i remember getting my first 2, i just could'nt stop driving it, any excuse.
    Cruising speed - erm... 70-80 mph, but pulls nicely in 5th at that speed. No need to drop down at all. :D

There is some discussion elsewhere about the 5th gear..erm.. gearing on the rev 3+ turbo gearbox compared to the n/a or camry manual box. At 80mph the revs are at about 4k in 5th. Apparantly using the 5th gear mechanism from the earlier gt4 box (or the manual camry - E153 box) lengthens 5th gear a bit? Still reading up on all that side of things... :D

As for the exhaust - don't get me wrong, it sounds very, very nice! However, its a bit more, erm, boomy that before at 2-3k revs as it has no cat or turbo to quieten it down now, which does give the driver a bit of a headache. Guess its just a resonance point? Its actually using the back boxes section of a turbo mongoose exhaust. Its odd, as generally it doesn't sound too loud, until its under load within that rev range. As its a specially made mid section I guess it must be just because its a custom setup?

Peebs is currently using a standard n/a exhaust which is a lot quieter, but you still get the lovely V6 noise at high revs.

I'll see how it goes, as it is more or less a break in period anyway over the next few weeks to see if anything needs "tweaking"... :P

done a quick look around and I believe it works out that the top speed of the mk2 is 145mph and the gt4 is 150mph. (I think) So unfortunatly 5th gear is not that much taller.

Can you do some testing in the sucker fizzy of just how low down in the rev range you can go and accellerate comfortably without having to drop a gear. We may need to get a custom 5th made to drop the revs at 60mph to about 2k I think would be about right. The upside would be that we raise the top speed of the car to about 190mph maybee 200 if we push it. :twisted:

But I have no idea if making custom gears is even possible or how much it would cost. :D

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    i can confirm 80mph is 4k rpm in 5th with a rev1 turbo box...its the final drive that differs between mr2 and camry manual boxes,and if you ship a manual camry box over from the states you can indeed make a frankenstein box out of the two,but this will change the final drive across 1-4 as well,which i wouldnt want to change as they are perfect....so its just a 5th gear solution we need to find,either the 5th cogs from a gt4 box or custom made=expensive!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

okay so fifth gear and final drive ratio are different. Time to do some more research. I love it when I get tidbits :)

How expensive do you think a custom fifth would be and if it was to be as tall as it would need be to hit 60mph at a bit below 2000rpm do you think forth would then be to short?

Would supra gears even be a likly source for taller gears (w57 or W58)? because it seams that toyota never made a faster version of the e153 box so we are not going to find any joy in that line boxes. :(

How about something low reving to start with, say a deisel rav4 or similar?

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

If you don't have any luck in finding a longer 5th gear then I know the final drive ratio out of an st165 will gear a turbo box to 186 @ redline - a bloke called Mark Edwards has had this done in the IMOC forums.

Might be worth considering as a last resort?