Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Fizzy's V6 Swap

We all have our "doh!!!!" moments (as homer simpson would put it ;) ) but what shows the nature of a person is how they deal with it.

While I confess its a bit of a shock for me, I appreciate Tony's honesty about it, and the fact that he's putting so much effort into rectifying the problem - not to mention all the hard work he has done up to date.

Its also a relief that it appears to be something "simple" like this - otherwise, considering what else has been replaced/checked, it would mean its a duff engine.

So - hopefully this will sort out the problem once and for all now.... and its not something he will do again/forget in a hurry! ;) Once bitten twice shy and other phrases of that nature... :shifty:

Gawd is that the time? :icon_eek: :whistle:

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    tony and i have been thrashing ideas about in pm's regarding this problem for a while,i bet we bounced every conceivable thing it could be back n forth,and out of daftness i suggested gaskets on the wrong way as i have almost done that myself when building up a v6,i say almost,i actually put heads on and a millisecond before torqueing heads down i had a feeling i needed to check,so its very very easy to do...to be honest after everything we talked about it could only be something like that but i have to say many garages wouldnt own up to it being their fault and would make an excuse about it being an engine fault.

So its hats off to tony for being a diamond geezer,reputation 110% intact...christ mate if id a quid for every cock up ive had... er ?1.50 :) joke ,im up there with the best of them when it comes to wearing clown shoes....i stuck the wrong oil filter on a clio 6 years ago,it went up the motorway,chucked all its oil out,engine went bang!

The difference between the cowboys that wash their hands of their mistakes and blame anything except themselves and the likes of you mate is worlds apart,your mechanical skill is beyond doubt,up there with the best of them,hell the gt4 v6 is testament to that!

Its also a very steep learning curve,im learning new things about these cars everyday,to be honest i dont think you ever stop.

So chin up chap, dont be so hard on yourself,that conversion is A1 and i wouldnt let a slight oversight which is soon to be rectified spoil the party,im just mega releaved that the problems found as i know you wont have been sleeping properly thinking about it! (im the same!)

Fizzy you know you're in the best hands possible after seeing posts like tonys.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hear hear :clap:

Ohh it's nearly V6 time Fizzy!

Well done Tony, and Peebs, that conversion looks fantastic.

O.S.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Good work Tony. Would this have had any other effects on the engine or are you good to just get new gaskets and put them on again.

Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of it.

Well guys glad to see you've found the cause.

After seeing this beastie in action glad Ian can finally take it home. :)

Gotta agree with paul, had it been some garages, they would have blamed everything else, and made you shell out.honesty and integrity 4V6.

Note to self......

Always check gaskets are on the right bank.

Who knows 4v6 if you hadn't done it and posted it there may have easily been a few more people with similar problems. Well done for sticking with it and especially for admitting your own fault. People will respect that a lot more and it shows your own honesty when it comes to your work.
    Theres no such thing as a bad day, only good days, some days are just better than others

88 MR2 MK1.6 - Deceased
    87 Mk1.6 - Collecting Parts and info

Tony fair play fella ! i know mates who have worked in garages where they have blown engines and then charged customers for new ones even though it was there fault which I think is bang out of order as most decent insurance policies for gargaes cover this mishap so bang out of order charging customers !

Mistakes are easy peasy ! When I rebuilt my first 4AGE I put all the mains in the wrong way round as counted the cyclinders backwards as it was upside down at the time and I forgot to take that into account ! luckily didnt fire engine up before I realised my mistake and no harm was done ! mistakes are easy especially in V engines as I use to work a lot on my v twin 2 stokes and plenty of mistakes to be had there !

You owned up and are sorting the problem and if it turns out half as ood as your GT4 it will still be twice as good as most "tuned" cars out there fella !

I've been looking out for a good/friendly/honest garage for years to do servicing on my 2 (among earlier cars) and its proven to be pretty difficult I can tell you! People like Tony are becoming rarer alll the time.

Fair play though, he was already getting stuck into taking the heads off when I visited him on saturday. Shouldn't be too long now... I can wait a bit longer for it to be finished as I know Tony's doing a good job of it. :thumbsup: