Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Fizzy's V6 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by lodgeman
    sounds great guys! the v6's sound great dont they!!!! re- the throttle cable/brace could you not drill a hole for the cable and put a tube there for the cable to go through and reweld ?
    Well, if you look at the stock bracket on mine, its actually staggered - uses the front topmount bolt on the drivers side, and the rear one of the near side - not sure why?

In theory if it was put in upside down it would sort it - bit unfortunately the ends that fit on the topmounts have been flattened/tappered/shaped so they won't fit flush that way around. :(

So Peebs is going to kindly try his own x-brace in there, and if that also fits in mine (which it should do! :P ) I may be...ahem.. borrowing it for a while. :mrgreen: ;)

Sounds lovely

:fit: :fit:

Now just to get my arse sorted and get my own V6 on its its way :p
    :rasp:

Anderson

"Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."
    -W.C. Fields

That sounds awsome, like there's some real power just waiting to burn rubber.
    Now peeps, that mystery bracket is it an air chamber support ???

Higuys it,s me fizzypop it sounds bl>>>dy awesome i know fizzy has got ants in his pants ,cant wait till he gets it into his hands again wedone lads best regards FIZZYPOP

re- the bracket. is it for the pants you were demonstrating?

......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Quote Originally Posted by adamh
    :eekdoor:

Its a borg v6 elephant!

<deep menacing voice on>
    Revving is futile - you will be torque-eefied.

....erm.... :whistle:

Adam fella you have too much free time ! do you need some machining to do ?

erm.. v busy sam.. :mrgreen: send stuff if needed.

'elefold'
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Well, yesterday saw a bit of bad news crop up. We let the big thumper tickover for, 15-20 mins or so, to bring it up to operating temp Mainly to see if the fans were kicking in correctly and to bake all the new paint on, etc.

But...as it got warmer, the valves got louder...just a bit too much for our liking. :hmm: It doesn't make sense really, as all the clearances were smack in the middle of the tollerance figures :banghead:

Soooo....today we took it apart again...ARRRGH! lol

We had a hunt around on t'internet last night and a ring round today to see if we could get hold of the 2 specialized tools that would make our job quicker and easier. The only tool companies (except MrT) that were selling the tools were all in the US. However a local Toyota dealer had some in for the tidy old sum of ?98 + VAT, eeek. :eekdoor:

So we made them instead :whistle:
    ...and damn well they work too. Tony modified a pair of SEAT valve tools and I made the bucket holding tool from a piece of 3mm flat. :toke:

Then I went a huntin' for spare shims :odd: and found all 32 I knew I must have. Measured and marked 'em all up (good variety from 2.96mm to 3.17. We already have the current clearances, so that saved time.

Got 6 of the valves done today but tomorrow we should fly the rest that is if we have enough of the correct sized shims. And at ?5.50+VAT each, lets keep EVERYTHING crossed, hehe. :pray:

I forgot me camera today - twice - DOH! But I shall grab a couple photies of the engine and the tools tomorrow. We'll also post up some info on how to make them for yourselves too...soon.
    you cannot have creation, without first a little destruction