Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Fizzy's V6 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    done a quick look around and I believe it works out that the top speed of the mk2 is 145mph and the gt4 is 150mph. (I think) So unfortunatly 5th gear is not that much taller.

Can you do some testing in the sucker fizzy of just how low down in the rev range you can go and accellerate comfortably without having to drop a gear. We may need to get a custom 5th made to drop the revs at 60mph to about 2k I think would be about right. The upside would be that we raise the top speed of the car to about 190mph maybee 200 if we push it. :twisted:

But I have no idea if making custom gears is even possible or how much it would cost. :D
    Well, I can just about totter around at 30 mph in 5th around town. Accelerated pretty easily from 40 up to 80 in 5th on the motorway when leaving some roadworks. Would have to drop a gear if there was a reasonable incline of course.

In fact I'm finding that if I have to go through a 30 zone..erm.. quietly., then 30 in 5th is below 2k (just about) so its below that exhaust "loud band" I mentioned earlier. :D
    Last edited by Fizzy; 24-09-2006 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    done a quick look around and I believe it works out that the top speed of the mk2 is 145mph and the gt4 is 150mph. (I think) So unfortunatly 5th gear is not that much taller.

Can you do some testing in the sucker fizzy of just how low down in the rev range you can go and accellerate comfortably without having to drop a gear. We may need to get a custom 5th made to drop the revs at 60mph to about 2k I think would be about right. The upside would be that we raise the top speed of the car to about 190mph maybee 200 if we push it. :twisted:

But I have no idea if making custom gears is even possible or how much it would cost. :D
    190+??? 8O I wouldn't like to go that fast in ANY car let alone a 10 years old + mr2. :D

Besides, i'm getting to quite like the way it is at the moment. Being at 4k rpm at 80mph means its out of my current "loud zone" revs mentioned before, and also helps you realise just how fast you are actually going. If 5th gear was a lot longer it would be soooooo easy to get up to silly speeds without realising it. :D

Although driving around 50 in 5th on normal roads means its at around 2.5k rpm, which is in the "loud zone", which is especially loud in the cabin under load at that revs, like when you're going up hills and such, which of course you tend to do a lot when you're not on the motorway... :(

Thought it might get a little quieter when it settles down/gets a coating of carbon in the exhaust, but been told this will actually make it louder? 8O

Yeah well there is a mk2 around that hit 200+mph on the salt flats in usa using a turbo 4age with a 1.5lt destroke crank reving to 11000rpm, so anything is possible :woods:

You guys are so lucky to have the autobahn's over in germany for a bit of playtime. :D

edit: here it is.
    http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fast...0in%20Utah.htm

Wow - this was 14 years ago?? I do miss the car. :(

The strange issue with the engine not switching off when I turned off the ignition turned out to be due to the car being in reverse.... :O So some investigation into wiring and looked like the relay was being kept open when in reverse. Sorted out a different ground and all sorted. Took a while to figure out!

Ended up getting the mongoose turbo exhaust swapped out for a magnex n/a one. Lot quieter at low revs, boom at 3k or so had gone but still sounded nice at high end.

Did some investigations into the jumper options within the ecu which has mixed results, but a rolling road session gave it a 230bhp readout, which wasn't bad!

Had the V6 for 5 years or so before the dreaded tin worm got into the sills and rear wheel arches. :( Ended up breaking it for parts.

It was a great car though, do miss it. Did contemplate getting a later car/better shell but since even the very latest ones would have been 10 years plus old by then decided to move on. Nothing really like it (affordable anyway) these days.

Was the longest I ever had a car up until my current one, which I've had for 8 years now.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132