Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What made you use the 1UZ-FE?

come on Paul, VZ and MZ are different block families! Think you'd better stick to welding, leave the thinking to us educated types :mrgreen:

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    you may have a point....i'll get me coat :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Driftin_AW
    for future reference, I can't think of a single instance where Toyota has made an iron block and an alloy block for the same block family (ie all S's were iron, all UZ's were alloy, all A's were iron etc)
    Sorry for being a pedant, but the the 3S-GE VVti has an alloy block........older and turbo versions are iron.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Rosssco
    Sorry for being a pedant, but the the 3S-GE VVti has an alloy block........older and turbo versions are iron.

Ross
    sorry to be pedantic in response to your pedanticism, but there isn't a single 3SGE or 3SGTE made with an alloy block, they're all cast iron. The closest they came was that gen 3 + had an alloy sump (or the top part of it was alloy anyway).

The VVTi 3SGE, in SS3 Celicas, gen 5 MR2s, and Caldina GTs, along with the dual VVTi 3SGE from the Altezza - all iron blocks. Trust me :)

The 2UZ is a 4.7L iron block UZ engine. This is used in 4x4's.

One good reason to use a non VVTi 1UZ instead of a 2UZ or even a VVTi 1UZ is that the rods and pistons are a lot stronger. This means forced induction is much more feasable and useful since you can run more boost. On the otherhand the VVTi heads flow extremely well.

wow...so there is an example of iron/alloy blocks in the same family, interesting indeed :) I would love to see the blocks side by side to see what differences Toyota made to the casting mould between the two to deal with the different properties of the materials

Yeah I'm not too sure about the different block castings. I've only ever seen the 2UZ in it's natural environment under the bonnet of Landcruisers and it's a bit tough to see much of the block like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12