Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jiffs mk1 v6 swap

Looking good Jiff and rapid progress. I thought I was overdoing it on the mounts but those doubler plates of Simon's make mine look puny!! Still I guess anything of BSM's would make mine look puny!!

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedsam
    BSM now stands the bloody sycho (yeah I know it aint spelt like this but for the sake of this it does ok !!!) man ! Those pallets are possibly more combustable than a combustable thing on a combustable day !

Jiff any pics of how your mounts will be for the harnesses as about to start that job once I work the seat rails out for the buckets ! are you just welding thicker plates in as load spreaders for them ? you also still keeping the seat belts and is it 3/4/5 point harness ?

Rest is looking spot on fella !
    Passenger gets a 3 pointer, I'm having a 5 pointer. You can re-use the standard side mounting points (wierdly enough, they're already the 7/16th UNF thread that harness eye bolts come in).

Here's a pic for you:

Essentially, BSM welded a 7/16th Nut to spreader plate, then welded that to the bulkhead (2 on my side, plus one on the floor). It I was losing the bulkhead carpet we'd have had the nut on the other side, but I'll just space out the rest rest of the eyebolt with some tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistertwokw
    this might be a daft question but what are the discs/calipers off as i am liking them very much and also the fact that they fit under 15" rims, looking good on the rest of the job, keep up the good work!!
    Good old St185 single pot calipers and discs on the front and a woodsport hybrid job on the rear.

Jiff mate.

Pisstake mode off, being serious for a change. Re spreader plates. I thought the idea was to mount them on the other side of the fire wall? As you have them there it's only the weld that's holding them in place in the event of a crash, rather than the wall itself.

Also I've also heard of a 3 pointer (so one shoulder strap point) being torn straight through a fire wall so I'll be certain to use a mininum 4 point for something as bonkers as a MK1.5!

Given BSM expertise I don't like to question it, but that's not the way I'd go.

All the best,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman
    Jiff mate.
    I thought the idea was to mount them on the other side of the fire wall? As you have them there it's only the weld that's holding them in place in the event of a crash, rather than the wall itself.

Also I've also heard of a 3 pointer (so one shoulder strap point) being torn straight through a fire wall so I'll be certain to use a mininum 4 point for something as bonkers as a MK1.5
    Fair point you bring up there old chap, the way I see it is.....

Standard 7/16th seat belt mounts are spot welded with a captive nut on the other side.

In the event of a crash they take all the force exerted on the seatbelt i.e. that of the mass of the person pushing against it.

I have only ever seen one distorted belt mount in my time. and I know my welding has good penetration (ooh err missus) the metal of the rear bulkhead is about 20/22 guage which is not as thick as that of a sill on a car. If (big if with Jiff's driving skills) he were to have an off the lap belt mounted on the factory points would take most of the force of the mass movement and thus the shoulder mounts would only need to take about 20%. They are stronger than a battleship and if the worsed came to the worse would rip from the bulkhead at the weaker side of the weld (20/22 gauge welded to 4mm plate) in a controlled manner and still prevent any excess upper body movement in a crash of that force.

A good weld is WAY stronger than the surrounding metal. I'd have to double skin the whole bulkhead to spread the load correctly. Then Jiff would have the slowest heaviest V6 powered Mk1 around!!!

Not questioning your question, but as I see it they are more than adequate for a car that MAY do a track day bit is not by any means a motorsprt prepared car. It'll get hard road driving and in situations like that a serious collision usually involving another vehicle coming the other way and doubles the impact force and the belts wouldn't make that much difference anyway?

BSM

All valid BSM! :thumbsup:

I'd presumed you'd thought it through but just wanted to make sure!

Final question and then I'll shut up. With the nut spreader mounted in the engine bay the spreader plate is between the nut and the firewall. The way you have it it doesn't matter how well the plate is welded to the wall if the nut is pulled from the plate :icon_eek: (I think that I can see that you've added more weld nut to plate to counter this?) Even so how about sticking a damn great washer and another nut on the other side as well?

As I have little experiance of welding when it comes to mine I'll be using a bar in the engine bay running all the way across the firewall with both pairs of nut plates behind that to actually take the load, then the welds will just tack it in place so I can screw the eyes on from the inside without it falling off! This way the fire wall will have to literally be torn in half for the mounting points to fail. In fact after your point on weight I might use an aluminium bar and gripfill it in place!

Sorry to sound like a prat, but I wanted to speak up just in case. Normal levels of non safety related banter will resume shortly.

Cheers and good luck,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman
    Final question and then I'll shut up. With the nut spreader mounted in the engine bay the spreader plate is between the nut and the firewall. The way you have it it doesn't matter how well the plate is welded to the wall if the nut is pulled from the plate :icon_eek: (I think that I can see that you've added more weld nut to plate to counter this?) Even so how about sticking a damn great washer and another nut on the other side as well?
    Fear not owen - The nut itself isn't merely tacked in place - Very good weld all round it. I've every confidence in the whole assembly, think the entire firewall will come out long before the nut or plate give way!

Still, nice to know the TB folk look out for each other :)

Yup, she'll be done for JAE - Interesting that you guessed it's a she; Then again, as BSM pointed out, I'm spending money on it like there's no tommorrow, all for the promise of a damn good ride, therefore it MUST be female......

And it takes yourself, a mate AND BSM to get her going.

It's just not right. lol

Just to put in my two penneth...I think the way BSM has done the job is adequate for road use - as he said 2 cars, bang wallop - belts dont make the diff in certain circumstances, but I also think Owens idea is a sound one too.

Cmon Jiff...get that bloody engine in, hehe :)

Whats a ETA on this baby ?
    you cannot have creation, without first a little destruction

well, heads hopefully back this week; Can't do anything this weekend cos its D1 at silverstone. Hoping to get suspension and brakes ( Mr woods;) ) finished before the engine goes in . Will also try to get the interior and seats back in before weekend.

JAE is the target. Gets scarier every day!

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast