Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jiffs mk1 v6 swap

cool, do you think you can do it in 6 weeks in time for jae???

Thats the plan, even if it means living at work to finish the damn thing!

good luck there jiff, whatever happened to me and 6 weeks i forget :mrgreen:
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Little update:

ok, today we REALLY went past the point of no return....

Armed with only a swiss army knife and a tin opener, BSM decided to chew his way through the firewall.

He wouldn't let me take any more pictures as apparently it's a little rough around the edges (and lets face it, would you argue with him?)

Swapped the tubby master cylinder on (twice! - For reference, keep the longer tubby pushrod, just swap the bracket on the end).

Finally got the driveshafts out - Again, brute force was needed; Despite me standing in the back to keep weight on the wheels and having the wheels chocked, BSM was able to either spin the wheel completely or have the car climb the chocks! I think eventually he growled at the nut and it gave in; However you couldn't touch the nut for 5 minutes due to the amount of friction induced heat!

Final job of the day was to dummy fit the new big rear discs. It has to be said, the spacers that Adam H makes are simply a joy to behold. They fit perfectly and like the Honda advert says, "isn't it great when things just work how they should?"

Nice progress, bit scary to see a gap like that in your bodywork though!!

What plans have you got for the firewall? Fixed, removable, bent, flappy, or perhaps something really evil??

didnt you know jiff i have little engines flying round my front room whistling at me?

good progress :thumbsup: , that floor looks too clean, can you not tip some oil over it to give the pics that just ripped out look?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    looking good jiff! you not in favour of bending the wall back? remodelling it around the engine is perfectly fine too though.All looking good from here though!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Cheers chaps - Metal work is entirely the area of BSM; If he says it's going to remade from double sided sticky tape and cornflake packets then I'll just nod my head and agree; The boy has never let me down yet and fabricated much trickier things than this!

Oil on the floor? Adam, you should have seen it when I forgot about the oil cooler pipes on the 4a-ge engine..... :doh: :blush: I just try to keep the place looking clean so the boss doesn't get the hump and tell me to shift it all out!

Jiff no good telling Adam where the oil came from as Im sure hes forgot what the oil cooler on the 4AGE is as it s been so long since he saw one !

So I finally got to do something today! Ripped out the the Toyota alarm; Remember this is a 1988 car, so factory fit alarm usual meant some numpty at the showroom throwing a Harry Moss in there. The less said about it the better, but heres a classic example. Dry joints anyone?

Whilst I cursed, hacked out and resoldered, BSM was busy in the bay grinding away. (waiting for the obvious comment from Peebs or Goldy ;) )

Then he was attacking bit of steel with tin snips (note the obligatory hobnobs; 8/10 MR2 owners, who expressed a preference, said their welders preferred them!)

Then after lots of this:

I was left with these:

Apparently, we've having over engineered engine mounts on the basis that if they'll cope with more, they'll happily cope with less!
    Last edited by Jiff Lemon; 26-12-2013 at 15:43.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast