Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: front end work

^ haha, if only it was mine!.. i nobled the box from the maintenance guys at work :) , the bracket fitted well into it. (with a squeeze)

dont slap me,... i'll check out my frosts catalogue at work! its re-assuring to hear it from the pro's and not just written in print.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

more slime removed from the car, anyone recommend replacement rad & fans other than mk1?? which is a straight swap, or relatively easy fabrication work?. mine are kinda allright, but nothing to be writing home about, they will fall apart soon. ive cleaned the front end, soaked it in rust eating liquid. how about some stone chip underneath por15?? for the bulkhead?

nope por 15 goes on first-bonds with the rust to form a hard coat! primer and then stonechip if you want!lol first off you have to weld the holes in the front or otherwise you will have to take it back off again!

copy that lodge. ive not gone anywhere near the A's.. am just working behind the rad, and front chasis until a welder is sorted. on that note.. that welder, it powers up fine but theres a blown diode on the board inside.. its getting taken to an electronic guy who'll fix it, am still hunting my own, 2 days left on an auction for one :-)

I guess i F'd up then! primer & stone chip:

well.. i did treat the rust first, can i not put some por or hammerite over the primer? :blush:
    Last edited by adamh; 17-05-2006 at 22:04.

adam that area will be ok as there is not much work to be done there, are you painting that front area or undersealing(black) it? you can get a spray underseal or comes in tins for brushing on. i would say after you have gone to that much trouble you might as well paint in helios, dont much matter either way as you wont see much of it anyway once all the panels are on:hehe: dont start on the frunk until it has been welded up, as you will only have to take it back off again to get the earthing around the weld lol i must say it does look good though! worthy of painting. if you have the paint code most car shops will be able to make some spray paint for you or if not i can bring my compressor down and spray it on by a gun!:mrgreen:

all of the bits aside the long thin piece will be undersealed with either hammerite or por15. over the primer, i dont mind. then if possible dependant on what i use to seal.. i can maybe helios over the top.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    an aerosol would work but dont apply hammerite,it reacts with paint and leaves a soggy mess! basecoat helios over the top of that or an aerosol should be grand! looking excellent though i have to say.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

some more progress was made yesterday due to actually having a welder that worked!, ive had one blow up, ive bought one that didnt work properly, had new torches sent to me which were wrong.. been a right old cherade it has!. lodge bought a fresh mig down, it worked till at least 3 'o' clock!!.. then the nozzle that holds tip just fell off!.. :slap: so again, hunting for welding bits before carrying on!. have to say a hoooge thanks to lodge coming down and showing me whats what again with bodywork, id be fooked without his skill.

most of the drivers side a pillar is done.. rust treated, patched over, welded, and either zinc primer or seam sealer on welds. the non visible welds used seam sealer, the visible ones just a high zinc primer, followed by metallic filler. ive also dinitrolled (squirty wax) the cavity sections by injecting through chasis rail holes etc.

yet to use more encapsulating paint before top coat, and finish filling / rubbing etc.

he and i have only spent 2 saturdays repairing ..its amazing how quick work can go with a welder that works :mrgreen:, i did some myself too, lodge went a shade of white! 8O

im expecting to have all of the welding work done on front by next w/e.

Attachment 223

Last edited by adamh; 20-08-2006 at 12:07.

sorry about me end falling off!lol but you did like my helmet !rotflmao will sort some parts out

looking good there guys ! bet you will be glad to see the back of all that tin worm fodder Adam !

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast