Thread: EGR Removal?

EGR Removal?

Are there any benefits to removing the Exhaust gas recirculation system? other than increasing emmissions? Will it yield more power?

To disable it is it simply a case of removing the vaccum supply from the top of the egr valve?

Cheers

Goldy

So are there any performance benefits from doing this? or is it simply like fitting an oil catch can?

Well Goldy, stick a pipe up yer bum and try living off the gases that form there, crude I know, but that is essentially what is going on with any EGR system.

Burnt and unburnt (tho not much) gases are passed on from the ex to the intake. To remove it you will need to blank off the pipe that goes from the ex to the plenum, best to remove the whole vac assembly and blank that off too.

Hehe, cool, If I just want to disable it, do I just remove the vaccum pipe from the top of it?

Hmm, it may do, but I dont know if the valve is opened or closed when it get -ve vac pressure on it, clutching at a lone, very weedy looking, straw I would say it opens, but I could be completly wrong. I suppose you could try it round the block with the pipe clamped off, who knows. Ill take a look at the 3S-GE ones I have and let you know.

I think it opens under vaccum.... at idle, there is no vaccum to it (I think), and from doing the EGR tests today, if you apply a full vaccum to it, it stalls the engine. I'm assuming it opens it all the way!. If you can confirm this that'd be good

Yes they do open on vac, so yes you can disable it. But listen Goldy, just rip the fakkin fing off. It won't damage your engine plus all the bits will probably weigh more than you think too. Check this.

Stuff I removed from Camry lump

Vac canister - 700g !!!
    EGR crap - 2180g

nearly 3 Kilos of power sapping lardy junk - bin it!

I might do. I'll see if it passes its mot without egr and decat on i'm not sure what difference it'll make.

If I remove it i'll be needing 2 blanking plates right? One for the engine and one for the intake?

Might give it a go. Dunno why my engine has egr but the 3s-ge doesnt. Mine chucks out far less fumes as it is anyway. :?: