Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term v6 thoughts

Long term v6 thoughts

Couple of things have crossed my mind about long term ownerage of a V6 conversion.

1) Oil cap and dip stick are on the front (Firewall bank in an MR2). Dip stick I think could be worked around (I'm thinking Mercs have those very long and flexible dip sticks - Should be easy to adjust) Any others incredibly long dipsticks spring to mind? Oil cap probably liveable with for short term using a funnel, but would it be feasible to machine out a "cap hole" in the second cover?

2) rear bank plugs - just how impossible are they going to be to get to? sure they won't need changing for many a mile (cos I intend putting super long life jobbies in whilst the engine is out) but what if they have to come out?

Have no fear - I'm not going to swap for the easy peasy option of a 2 litre tubby, I'm just trying to plan ahead and fix problems before they happen.
    Last edited by Jiff Lemon; 11-04-2006 at 22:54.

Jiff just an idea as I have never even clapped eyes on the V6 yet but is it possible the cam covers are interchangable if you see what I mean, if so would it be possible just to swap them over, Im thinking this is doable but could be wrong ! As for dipstick then yes rekon the long flex idea is a goer ! Plugs well its like ferrari its engine out I rekon !

;)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    sam know your limits woman! lol the rear bank rocker cover is buried beneath the inlet manifold so swapping them(it isnt possible anyway) is a no go.

To be honest jiff dipstick access and oil filler access is good mate,not half as bad as you'd think its going to be mate.....as for rear spark plugs,they are tight to remove but lots easier on a mk1 than in a camry.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    i stand corrected! i thought they wouldnt swap due to the EGR breathers at the ends? surely swapped they wouldnt be in the right place?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Dipstick comes out fine if you gently flex it left as you remove it. Oil filling no real problem with funnel.
    Rear bank plugs - p of p - if you use removable panel in firewall see p9 in "V6 the 2nd" thread. They come straight out and you can see them!! Much easier than when in Camry. In fact everything is easier to get at than in Camry - block drain plug, and rear manifold also nightmare but doddle in Mk1
    Cambelt maybe tricky in situ although Paul says he thinks the crank pulley will come off and my engine mount will remove.

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

Doh! I meant the firewall bank of plugs, ie.the front bank on a camry. Removable panel is planned for the rear (bet you haven't got those cardboard templates lying around have you JB!) so I'm not really worried about those, but the ones up against the firewall concern me.

FourVeeSix, you saying I can just swap the covers pretty much straight over? (damn that engine crane not arriving till friday! I want this lump out so I can play!). Why the need for a remote filler pipe?

EDITS: oooo! Getting my fronts and rears all confused!
    Last edited by Jiff Lemon; 12-04-2006 at 16:46.

So my idea wasnt impossible then eh paul ;) ! (Some people you would think they know Toyotas like the back of thier hand ;))

Quote Originally Posted by FourVeeSix
    BUT! like Paul says, the breathers would be in the wrong position and youd need the remote oil filler option as how would you fill it when the filler cap would be under the manifold? :eh:
    DOH! How big an arse am i? Completely forgot about that! We'll save that idea for stage 2 (junking the inlet). Oooo that'd also mean the inlet manifold cover would be the right way round!

so, one worry down, one to go! Firewall plugs anyone?

Jiff, if you are thinking that the standard camry inlet manifold will turn around other way - it wont, I wanted to do that. Take a look at the intake ports

www.peebs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/V6/Intake.jpg

Plus you would then have exatcly fook all access to the dipstick !

Nah, stage 2 (which is after the car is up and runing) is to build a custom intake manifold that sits in the vee raher than over on of the heads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast