Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Battery relocation

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    embarrasingly nik i cant remember the name of the stuff!!! i will look at the garage for the bottle it came in.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

nice work.
    Used a 150Amp fuse on my gt4 when I shifted the battery to the boot, I figure that should be fine on a 1.5 as you are cranking the same motor. I also used a lower rated circuit breaker (110Amp) at the other end of the cable (remember there's power sources at both ends!), the idea being that since it was lower it would trip before the fuse blew if too much current was drawn at start up, meaning it could just be reset, rather than having to replace fuses all the time.

I had thought a good spot for a battery would be either under one of the headlights or around that general area anyway. I'm pretty sure I found a spot big enough, and it would mean the weight would be shifted even further forward and wouldn't encroach on the spare tyre/luggage space. Would be a PITA to get to though...and probably difficult to mount securely

yeah could work.....or ive thought about cutting a square out of the front panel just behind the radiator,build a box into that (so that the box nearly touches the fans) and that way most of the battery would be forward (didnt somebody do this???) leaving plenty of room for the spare.

here is a pic of my battery relocation.

*Taylor Aluminum battery box, vented
    *1ga cable
    *Optima Red Top Battery 870 ca
    *150 amp fuse
    Last edited by kylemartin; 29-10-2005 at 07:06.

http://www.speed-source.net/
    #5 in the Speed-Source bull pen

now that is very very nice....ever thought about some machined engraving on that battery cover,just to finish it off? theres some carbon fibre covers on ebay but only have supra on them.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

im fabing my battery tray up this week, ive decided its going to be put in the right corner of my boot theres a space that side of the intercooler perfect fit for a battery, and gives me just more than half the boot the other side of the cooler spare. i plan to have a full sized spare wheel a the front, that will help with evening the weight distribution, and some 5/10L spare water caddy. the room in the boot isnt really affected as i couldnt have used the space next to the cooler for much.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

just thought I would add a comment about wieght distribution ! I have just done the best mod ever to my handling which has sharpened it up beyond belief ! I added a 3SGTE to the frunk and boy its so good on corners now and you can push it so much harder ! The head is fully built and well wrapped and sits with my space saver and my full can of fuel and a 1.5 litre can of oil and I was gonna take the head out once I got home but not now ! Am defo shifting as much weight up front now in the 1.5 !

sams been drinking with his good pal jack daniels this afternoon i see!

LOL @ Pauls thoughts ! I know where your coming from but what I meant was I had to collect a 3SGTE head the other day and there was no room in the rear boot as all my clothes were in there with my sports kit and my suit was in the passanger side so when I collected the head I wrapped it up well and it now sits in the front and the weight in the front has really changed the handling of the car as it is now much more sure footed in bends so I will defo move my battery up front. Am liking that ally topped battery cover, the carbon look ones your on about are also available with the toyota emblem on as well and am sure I have seen them with MR2 on as well !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast