Thread: Mk2 Brake Upgrades?

Mk2 Brake Upgrades?

Been thinking about brake upgrades, as i'm going to need to stop when this supercharger goes in.

My weedy rev1 brakes were cack on track and turned to chocolate after 2 corners. I'm thinking about possible upgrades. The common one is to stick on rev2 brake setup, but I was wondering if theres any other reccomendations to add to the mix? :?: I ideally want to be able to keep my 15'' alloys so huggggeeeeee hugeeeeee is out of the question.

Cheers
    -- Simon

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    isnt there a mk2 supra upgrade? im sure ive heard of it but sadly i dont know anything about it....anyone?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Done a bit of reading, the supra brakes need some huge wheels to fit em on, so thats out of the question. They also require an adaptor plate.

Theres a write up on imoc for gt4 calipers but again they look too big for my standard wheels, and a bit too much work for poor old meeee.
    http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=84

I'm thinking rev2+ might be the best option as its a bolt on fit (more or less) :hmm:

I wouldn't mind some big tasty porker calipers though

think the supra came with 16 inch wheels though? so clearance on 15's may be a problem, havent heard of many brake upgrades to be honest as i only joined this forum and another, the other forum was full of clueless types and a*sehole's so i didnt stay long so couldnt tell you what common upgrades are, but i think the turbo calipers, discs (and master cyl if different from the n/a)may be your best bet

if you havent had your fluid changed in a while then that could be part of your fade problem, brake fluid is hydroscopic so it will absorb water and lower the boiling point of the fluid in it causing fade

I changed the fluid before the trackday. I might have cooked it on track slightly though :twisted:

If anyone comes accross any other info gimme a shout. Would be nice if there was a couple of easy bolt on options. I'm sure there might be out there somewhere.

I swapped my Rev1 brakes for Rev2+ ones a couple of months ago. Only 'modification' required is to bend the dustshield out of the way of the bigger disks - apart from that its simply unbolt the old calipers and bolt on the new ones, connect the pipes and handbrake cable, and then bleed them.

I got the calipers off ebay ( seller was an IMOC member ), new std disks also off ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-92-...QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-92-...QQcmdZViewItem ), and Pagid fast road pads from www.needforspeed.co.uk

Car already had braided steel hoses fitted - I'd recommend either Goodridge or Black Diamond ones.

did you notice a marked improvement over rev1 brakes with 'fast road' pads? Looks good mart.... mmm shiney disks.

Did you also do the rears or just the fronts btw?

Not much difference in 'normal' driving, but less prone to fade after repeated heavy braking.

Yes, I did both ends. Top pic is of the front, bottom one is of the back.