thread: 3sgte into a mk3

May 2014
    swindon

3sgte into a mk3

I know the above has been done before but cant find much info online what is involved and parts needed.

Thanks to my over eagerness at japfest yesterday i now have a crash damaged wrote off mk2 turbo which has a fully rebuilt engine available :( pretty much all the mechanicals are fine so would be an ideal candidate to do something different with.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Not exactly a simple conversion, in fact bloody difficult compared to others, but the basic run down is....

1. Position engine in the sweet spot for driveshaft endfloat/ height and front/back location while keeping it perfectly level.
    2. Weld in new hanger bracket on the OS for the Mk2 engine mount
    3. Modify the NS bolt in Mk3 hanger to catch the Mk2 gearbox mount
    4. Make a combo of Mk2 and Mk3 mounts for the front and rear torque mounts.
    5. Cut out and redo the bonnet catch slam panel, it gets in the way.
    6. Use Mk2 turbo shafts but with Gt4 St185 front outer CVs fitted, you will need 4mm spacer rings between the CV and hub to keep the bearing compressed and ABS working.

In simple terms the above gets it hung and driveshafts connected, after that you need to plumb it, wire it (not simple at all), provide it with a fuel return, build a custom exhaust, work out your intercooling and all plumbing for that, relocate the battery, and there's a few dozen smaller jobs to tackle along the way.

Not an easy swap!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

May 2014
    swindon
    Thanks Paul for the breakdown.

Thats pretty much confirmed im done with MR2s then lol

The car will be broke for parts. Everything mechanical looks ok. Engine only had a rebuild about 500 miles ago last year ,and its got a few trick parts i should be able to move on. Car will be broken end of may beginning of June and will list parts then. Thanks

Jan 2009
    East London
    Potentially interested in your 3sgte. I'll drop you a pm. Andy
    Mk1 3VZFE White
    Mk2 3SGE Red (TRD2000GT No.0001)
    Mk3 2GRFE Blue

May 2014
    swindon
    Ive replied via pm and with my phone number

•