Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 2GR in a MK1- Am I crazy? (yeah, yeah)

Thanks bud!
    He can weld enough to make those headers, although I've never seen 'em completed. I saw two little bits of tubing that looked like they had pie cuts and far too many hours in just those little pieces.

10 years of parts untouched in the yard- that right there tells me his prioritization skills aren't the greatest. He said that if he (well, ME rather) put the 2GR in the MK1, he'd have too much money into one car and it made more sense to put it in the one roller that is mostly stock- an SW20. That one isn't going to have value when it's done because it has a salvage title. It's been insurance totaled previously and nobody is going to spend money on a salvage title 2gr mash up by a guy that can barely weld.

But- hey, more power to him. He said he wants to keep his MK1 the way it is and drive it. His salvage title SW20 gets the 2gr. That car has a welded frunk, it has been hit and bodged together. It'll take another 1-2 years if it ever gets completed at all.
    All the other cars, here's what he has basically : there's a supercharged MK1 that is non running, non complete but decent- solid. A widebody SW20 with another half body kit on the floor, no interior, no engine, parts missing everywhere. Random interior parts, exhaust, several sets of nice seats, a big pile of oem wheels, MK 1 and 2. There's 2 rusted MK1's that are way past it, but have good strut towers, half dismantled engines, but useable parts. Most everything has good glass.

That's about it really. I would have sold everything to an ebay parts buddy and then kept the MK1 supercharged and tried to piece it together, then sell that. I told him that the amount of hours needed to put one of these things together or to part it all out, would take a year in itself. So my time is money. For me to take the workload and the expense, the remaining bit would have to be worth it. I threw up a number which he said, "yeah- that's cool". and I'll just see if I can sell the stuff myself.

My thought was (though I didn't say it) "Riiight, just like you've done for the last 10 years". lol

Nice guy and if I need a part for a 'Two I will call him before ordering it online. I'll bet nothing happens over there. Oh well- I've got a 1941 Plymouth that needs the body welded on a damn Durango. Might pull that out under it's own power in the next day or so. VROOM Vroom!
    Last edited by Grenade; 03-04-2019 at 13:59.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Yep we have loads of guys here like that, full of big ideas and dangerous on Ebay, they end up with a yard full of shit and swamped by their own dreams. The reality is nothing ever gets done, or they lose interest and move on to the next project, but for some that means never selling the old project first "one day it will get done"..... yeah right.

Hope he manages to sort his life out and get the 2gr Mk1 built, but i cannot see it happening from what you have described.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12