Thread: rough running engine

rough running engine

my 2003 1mz-fe has developed some issues, only fault code is the front bank o2 heater. on tickover its tunning lumpy but notvmiss firing higher revers it seems fine not using more fuel than normal andnonloss of power. there a slight smell of oil burning but this is prob due to rear cam cover gasket leaking onto exhaust. ive changed the front spark plugs but never got round to rear ones as id have to strip the top of the engine for access. any suggestions?

Definate missfire now ordered new o2 sensor, will whip plugs out front bank tonight and see what they are like.

Well had another look, unplug injector 1 at a time on front babk and no.2 had little to no effect on runing compared to 4 & 6, so ordered a new coil pack and will see if that solves it.

Sometimes it helps to switch stuff around, to see if you can move the problem from cylinder to cylinder, isolating which part is bad.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Compression test first, then work down the diagnostic tree from there, a dead coilpack would throw a code.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well i replaced the coil pack on no.2 and all is well again, strange how there was no code maybe it wasn't totally dead? Replaced the o2 sensor aswell as it has east access, Pulled the fuses aswell for the hell of it. have to say the car is running sweet and pulls harder than before!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    If the ECU is still seeing a return IGF signal from a coilpack it will not flag it as faulty, the system is not foolproof, it will only flag a fault if the coilpack totally fails or it has no power/ground going to it, or the IGT signal wire is broken..... in laymans terms it's a bit like ordering a jam doughnut and finding no jam inside.... but the doughnut is still edible.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    in laymans terms it's a bit like ordering a jam doughnut and finding no jam inside.... but the doughnut is still edible.
    That is an awesome way to put it. Think I might steal that from you and use it on the production lads in work haha

Ok seems to be running rough again nit missing but sometimes has major vibrations which stop if you take your foot iff the gas. also got code p0171 bank one lean twice now. looking at obd readings the i2 sensor matches what bank 2 is showing. Maff sensor or coul packs causing spark to break down under load??

I removed the MAF sensor and brake cleaned it, So far it pulls like a train again and no vibrations