Thread: Removing TVSS v3 from a rev4 car

Removing TVSS v3 from a rev4 car

Hi all,

I've got to get a CAT1 alarm installed at the request of the insurance company. No problem there really.
    But was thinking that there is no need for the old TVSS system which has the box under the heater controls, the one behind the middle box and the siren behind the left headlight (is there another box for the immobiliser?). I'd like to remove the entire system before the CAT1 bloke comes to install the new alarm (I know they can co-exist but I hate redundant clutter), is it possible to remove this system and still have a working car afterwards?

The car is a UK '96 rev4, with a swapped gen4 turbo with gen4 ecu.

Is it possible to remove the old toyota system and still drive the car? Or does something need to be bridged to compensate for the removal of the system before it'll work? if so, what?

thanks people. Sorry for so many Q's, I have a tiny mind.

MODS: sorry put this in the wrong place, please move to tech-info>electrical.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Are you talking about taking out the entire TVSS wiring or just removing the box and components?

I think the box can just be unplugged with no side effects at all. The old NA immobiliser is near your seat belt tensioner reel if you want to remove that too.

Actually taking the redundant wiring out will be a massive undertaking, dash out, front end harness strip down etc..... really not something you want to do.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Id hate for someone else to do any wiring on my car. You can gurantee it wouldnt be to your satisfaction. Most of these installers are paid per job so will be lobbing it in just to make money.
    Id personally install it myself and just get someone to sign it off. But then again im an electronics engineer and electrician so its a piece of cake for me.

not looking to remove the loom items (not this year anyway) so only removing the boxes from the loom at this stage.
    With no ill effects, does this mean the immobiliser can also be removed and the car will still start? I'd have thought that it would leave some part of the circuit open and need to be bridged. hmm maybe not a topic to openly post about on a public forum..

I hear what you say about the alarm installer, I'm sure it'll be a hack and slash effort. There is a trade off in effort though, as I'd have to work out all the connections on the loom and plan the install to make it as optimal as possible. I've not really got the time but the DIY option is much, much cheaper and would be much neater. Could avoid ugly extra opening switches by using the car's own existing switches. hmm the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward self install now. food for thought.

Are the install instruction for most alarms available without purchase? Looking to install a Toad ai606.

Thanks both for the input

Currently your immobiliser is doing jack shit anyway, it's not connected to the Gen4 ECU, so can be safely removed with no side effects.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Oh yeah. Ive got the ai606 installer manual as going to be swapping out my clifford for one. I just googled it and found it straight away

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Currently your immobiliser is doing jack shit anyway, it's not connected to the Gen4 ECU, so can be safely removed with no side effects.
    Does the immob' talk directly to the ecu then and not just cut the starter circuit?

This seems like great news, can bin all the old Toyota parts and install the Toad ones where I want them. Hmm really do think self install is the way to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by markstevieandmads View Post
    Oh yeah. Ive got the ai606 installer manual as going to be swapping out my clifford for one. I just googled it and found it straight away
    cool, I'll go find one now. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmr2 View Post
    Does the immob' talk directly to the ecu then and not just cut the starter circuit?

This seems like great news, can bin all the old Toyota parts and install the Toad ones where I want them. Hmm really do think self install is the way to go now.
    It actually has nothing to do with the starter circuit at all, just recognized by the ECU, your original one is gone so it's doing nowt.

sweet, thanks.

So looks like I can just remove the TVSS control box under the heater control, the one behind the center box, the immobiliser, siren behind left headlight and only leave the central locking control box. That's a proper win.