Thread: Building braided fuel line properly

Building braided fuel line properly

Hi,

One last hurdle needs to be crossed before attempting the first start of my gen4 swap. That hurdle is the fuel feed hoses.
    I researched this last year and bought loads of stuff from Torques to build the hoses. I wanted a proper job done as a fuel leak could be the end of the car. A mate said he'd take the part to a local hose shop, but I think he just took them home and had a stab himself as the result isn't polished.

This hose is slightly too long (tank hardline to filter) so would like to trim it down, but also to make sure the ends are properly fitted.

The 2nd hose is from the top of the filter to the fuel rail. This I've not started to make up yet, just measured the correct length so far and fitted the adapter on the fuel rail.

So what is the correct way to build one of these hose ends up?
    Have most tools available.

Once fitted the plan is to pressure test the fuel system for a good 30 mins to make sure it's not going to leak and destroy the whole project. The hardline union has been changed for a compression fitting AN adapter, I'm fairly sure this is OK but happy for advice on that too.

Can provide pictures if required.
    Thanks

Hi mate. I’ve fitted all new an6 fuel lines on my v6 turbo build. Also I had to relocate the filter to the driverside of the engine bay because of the tirbo and exhausts. They are tricky to do to begin with but become easy. Best way is to use a set if aluminium AN vice jaw and aluminium AN spanners. I find it best to wrap insulation tape where the you want to cut it. Best use is a bandsaw otherwise a good pair of shears. Then you clamp the fitting in the jaws and oil/lube the end of the hose. Then just push the hose in and turn it anti-clockwise. They have a left hand thread inside to help wind the fitting on. Then just clamp the hose in the jaws by the fitting you just installed. Oil the the hose again and screw in the second part of the fitting in until there is a one mm gap between the two halves of the fitting. Then your done. Nice and tight and leak proof. If your stuck just ask

ok, sounds fairly straight forward, thanks for that.

Have any links for decent shears and the correct AN spanners?
    Also maybe the AN vice jaws..

I'll go search now but nice to have some pointers.

Thanks again

Here’s some pic’s I was doing some today so thought I’d take some snaps for you.

I got mine off ebay. Think the jaws were about £20 and the spanners £50. Worth it because it makes a neater job and you don’t stab yourself. The shears I’d recommend are sheep shears believe it or not. I’ll get the name later tonight.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Were the shears from Baaaaad Obsession Motorsport? ..................

I feel ashamed.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Haha I guess I left that door wide open. The shears are Jakoti. About £40 for a pair. So a bit pricey but we use them in work for cutting wire mesh up to 0.7mm. So a pair happened to fall into my car one day. Hahaha

Sweet I see how it works. Thanks for the pics, a nice aide.

So tool shopping.. It's almost as much fun as parts shopping :D

I'm sure I'll find further uses for them after the fuel hose. Who doesn't love tools?