thread: 1MZ VVTi fuel economy

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA

1MZ VVTi fuel economy

So I have almost 2k miles on my swap with zero issues..
    I have been checking my highway MPG and repeatedly get 40+MPG at 70 MPH.
    Seems too good to be true but I have verified distance and speed via GPS as well as fuel quantities.
    Is this normal? No complaints but wow that's pretty good considering the performance that's delivered.
    Running the 2001 Solara trans internals in the MR2 case so my ratios are a bit taller than the original stuff

stiffy.jpg

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    With taller ratios 40mpg is achieveable with motorway cruising, we see 35mpg regularly with just long distance motorway use on shorter gears.

The Woodsport extended 5th gear mod certainly achieves this on the NA (S54) gearbox, and in some cases when the Avensis diesel S series gearbox is used (5 speed) which has a longer final drive than the Mr2 gearbox and also combined with the Woodsport 5th that can really make cruising speed drop to around 3000 rpm at 70mph.

Of course the MPG drops through the floor as soon as the throttle is touched.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Oct 2017
    Harrogate
    I have yet to do a long drive in mine but averaging about 30mpg just driving to work, i have the longer final drive from the avensis so that will help i think at 70mph im doing about 2800rpm. doing a long run this weekend so i will keep you all posted.

Mar 2005
    Oh wow, i guessed 3000rpm, so 2800@70mph is a real bonus Martin, that diesel final drive is excellent, they should be used on all V6 swaps really.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Oct 2017
    Harrogate
    Just checked on the way home from work and it's doing 2,300-2,400rpm @60mph and 2,700-2,800 @70mph so a definite bonus. It makes it a really pleasant cruising car and should help big time on the fuel usage. It has taken a bit of getting used to driving as 1st gear doesn't get you very far before you need second which has got all the power

Mar 2005
    The 1st gear issue is worse for the rest who have the Mr2 shorter final drive, if it were feasible and not cost prohibitive i would fit the diesel Avensis internals into every v6 conversion, you have the perfect gearbox there in my opinion.

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA
    I'm a bit under 3k at 70 The Solara (Camry coupe) US spec s54 has a rather tall final drive and a decent first as well.
    I was happy with the drop in aspect of the Spyder LSD.(preload was a simple task)

•