Thread: E153 leaking

E153 leaking

Hi everybody, I need help.
    I have a mk1.5 with a rev 3 engine and gearbox, I've had it in the car for a number of years and filled the gearbox when doing the initial swap. I've spent the last month or so getting it back sorted for a track day this Saturday, one of the jobs was changing the gearbox oil. I drained the gearbox oil and there was barely a litre in it. I filled it back up and managed to get just under 3.5 litres in, over the next couple of outings I realised I had a leak but couldn't find anything leaking out of fill or drain plugs or the gearbox seals. On further investigation I noticed it dripping near the three bolt holes that originally had a mounting bracket fixed into them. The top and bottom bolt holes are blanked off inside at the end of the threads but I noticed the middle bolt hole is not and I wondered if this could be where it is leaking from, can anyone shed any light on this as it's driving me crazy and the clocks ticking for the weekend.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Surely there should be oil all around the suspected leak area?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

There is a line of oil on the road all the way to the top and round the corner and I have also noticed it in other ares where I have driven recently. I did notice the cross member that the gearbox is mounted to has oil over it and there is residue on the exhaust. There isn't a drop on my drive where I reversed out of the garage after refilling, the oil line on the road starts just as I start setting off forwards uphill. I pushed a narrow drill bit through the middle bolt hole I was talking about and definitely a void at the back, so could it leak from there?

Can you take a pic of this hole? Or identify it on a Google image so we can see where you mean?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Cheers Paul, I will try and get a picture of the offending area this afternoon and post later.

JDM-Genuine-93-Gen2-Gen3-SW20-MR2-Turbo-_1.jpg

If you can see the attached picture (not my gearbox). You can see the three bolt holes to the left of where the drive shaft locates. This normally has a mounting bracket attached when fitted to the mk2, its the middle bolt hole of the three thats been leaking. I have now fitted a bolt and no more leaks as far as I can see.

Yes that's meant to have a mount bolt in there, haven't you got a regular rear mount fitted?

No and it's never had anything in that hole for 10 years while the engine and box have been in the car, not done many miles to be honest but what's the chances of the gearbox not being fooked, it's been stood for the last 5 years almost?

It should be fine, it must never have been at an angle to leak before now or there was sealant or something blocking the hole. My swaps always use the original bracket parts in that area so i've never seen a leak there before, but at least it was something simple.

Yeah thanks for confirming this as I don't think the bracket was even supplied fitted with engine and gearbox. I can't believe they designed it with a channel into the gearbox behind a bolt hole. Any way I've apologised to the neighbours for the 2.5 litres of oil I've deposited on the road and I will spend another £70 On oil now I know it won't leak. Thanks again Paul!