thread: Wiring harness question

Mar 2018
    Vancouver Island

Wiring harness question

I'm pulling the 1mz from the Camry ('94 if that makes a difference) and nearly have all the wiring free, and noticed the lift point is attached to the intake manifold, making me think the manifold doesn't need to be removed, but all the injector plugs on the fuel rail are underneath it, is there something I'm missing? The Hanes only mentions removing the air cleaning assembly and doesn't mention the intake in the engine removal chapter.

Mar 2018
    Vancouver Island
    Also, when removing the passenger side axle should i remove just the cv or the entire assembly right down to the trans?

Mar 2018
    Vancouver Island
    Fuck i just realized the intermediate shaft supposedly pulls out of the diff. After i took out those ludicrously difficult to remove bolts. Damnit.

I'm having a real pain removing the intermediate shaft.. I'm trying to take off the bracket to get at the clip that mr. Hanes insists is under it, but the axle shaft interferes with one of the bolts removal.. there must be a way short of taking the grinder to it but I'm stumped at the moment

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Hi, there's actually a Camry engine removal guide written by Paul Woods on here somewhere.

Remove the engine and box complete, leave the loom on and the plenum. You need that to life the engine!

The shafts can be unbolted at the gearbox flanges with an 8mm hex too (I think, check the size). They are pretty stiff, so make sure not to round them by hammering the hex into each one to crack it.

If you round them, you can (and this is scary dangerous) cut the shafts with an angle grinder. They will grab the blade so take appropriate precautions to avoid injury. If I have to cut them I cut round but not through then hammer the everloving shit out of them with an FBH.

Hopefully you can unbolt them, just get a fat mate to put his foot on the brake so you can reach them in turn.

Once the engine and box is out, split them and worry about that other shaft when you can get at it easier.

Chris.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Last edited by cdwood2010; 30-03-2018 at 12:03.

Mar 2018
    Vancouver Island
    many thanks! i recall seeing that pdf somewhere when i was starting my research and forgot all about. i managed to get the cv itself off the engine but for SOME reason (i was working on it in the middle of the night after work :P) i managed to get the cv out with no real issues, but i became worried when i saw the bracket that the secondary axle runs through is mounted onto the block AND frame, (thus making my tired brain perceive the engine as being held in place until i could remove the bracket) and still i couldnt manage to pull it out, and managed to break my angle grinder the previous day so cutting the axle out was a no-go..

Im embarrassed to admit that me and a friend puzzled over it for a solid hour. however now as im typing this out i think im realizing the body side where the bracket is mounted on is actually an engine mount, although i cant confirm this suspicion until tomorrow, although thanks to the patient counseling of a certain Mr Woods, i have an imgur pic of the bastard bracket thats been giving me so much trouble https://imgur.com/a/VFD2t https://imgur.com/a/MFGUH will confirm my suspicions tomorrow.

Talk about a forehead smacking moment.

Although, quite happy to be able to say the engine is only an axle and some mounting bolts away from coming out, saw a thread started by a panicking newbie similar to myself somewhere on here who had gotten themselves in a bit over their heads.. and a thoughtful poster informed them the ecu is behind the glovebox, along with the helpful tip that "youll see a few wires back there" hahaha, awesome. I spent the better part of my day freeing the entire harness (whose idea was it to run wires through the quarter panels and along the top of the transmission radiator?!)

•